L.M.Reid creates delicious recipes and gives step-by-step instructions with photos so you can learn how to make them at home.
Quiche Lorraine With Shortcrust Pastry
Learn how to make this delicious quiche Lorraine recipe from scratch. This is a quick-and-easy recipe that includes cheese and broccoli filling. I have also included step-by-step instructions with my own photos so you can make a fantastic shortcrust pastry for the base.
- Baking tin
- Mixing bowl
- Grease-proof paper/parchment paper
- Stones or dried beans
Step 1: Make the Shortcrust Pastry
- 200g / 6oz plain flour
- 100g / 4oz butter
- Pinch of salt
- Cold water, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F.
- Take out your mixing bowl and add the flour.
- Put in the salt.
- Add the butter to the flour and mix in well with your hands until it is a crumbly texture.
- Add water and mix with a knife, it should be slightly sticky.
Step 2: Prepare the Baking Dish
- Cut some grease-proof paper the size of the inside of the dish.
- Take out three stones or some beans and have them ready.
- Take some butter and spread around the base of the dish.
Step 3: Bake the Pastry
- Return to the pastry and sprinkle some flour on top.
- Move around with your hands until the pastry can be removed from the bowl in one go.
- Sprinkle some flour on a board and add the pastry.
- Roll it out until it is slightly bigger than the dish.
- Add the pastry to the dish pushing it around the sides.
- Put the grease proof paper in the middle and add the stones or beans.
- Put in the oven to bake for ten minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper and bake for another ten minutes until the base is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for half an hour.
Baking the pastry, also called blind baking makes sure it does not go soggy once you add the filling.
Step 4: Prepare the Filling
- 3 rashers bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1 large tomato
- 750g / 3oz cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Small pieces of broccoli
- 150ml / ¼ pt milk
- Cut up the rashers into small pieces.
- Peel and cut the onion into small slices.
- Cook on a frying pan for a few minutes.
- Add the rashers, onions and broccoli to the dish.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and mix in the milk.
- Pour this over the ingredients.
- Slice the tomato into large pieces.
- Gently add them to the mixture.
- Place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
I prefer my quiche served with a lettuce and salad dish. They complement the taste and makes a delicious snack.