I love sharing what I know about cooking, alternative medicine, health, frugal living, fun, animals, and how to live a better life!
You Are Going to Love This Casserole!
This is a breakfast casserole, but it also works for any meal of the day. (We all know breakfast is good any time of day, right?)
You can make this a night or two before cooking it—or just make it the day of. If you prepare it beforehand just leave it covered in the refrigerator with foil before you cook it. Either way, it doesn't take long and doesn't make much mess.
In this particular recipe I am sharing, I used frozen spinach, pepper jack cheese, green onions, and some spicy seasoning. The result was delicious and completely satisfying, but one of the best things about this recipe is how flexible and versatile it is. You can add or substitute many different ingredients, and it will always turn out great.
If you're using regular sausage, just make sure to cook it first, or buy the premade sausages. I've used sausage links from Aldi's chopped-up, and it satisfied the carnivores I have in my life. You can also use Italian sausage.
I've found that kids and adults alike love this dish. Serve it with fresh orange juice, coffee, and even yogurt with fruit on the side. Or waffles and pancakes. Heck, make an entire breakfast spread!
Another great thing about this recipe is that it feeds a lot of people. In addition, the combination of carbohydrates and protein makes it very filling.
If you have any left over, save it in the fridge for up to three days for a quick snack or meal. It reheats well in the microwave.
Tater Tot Casserole: 3 Versions
- Spinach and pepper jack cheese
- Pork sausages, peppers, onion
- Vegetarian sausage, peppers, onion
Read More From Delishably
There is no limit to your creativity with this casserole. You can add onion, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, kale—whatever you can dream up. This is a great way to use up leftover vegetables. Making double batches is quick and easy, too.
What I Love About This Recipe
What I love about this recipe is the sky is the limit on what you can add to it. Adding frozen ingredients is easy, too. I like to make mine vegetarian, but occasionally I like to add plant-based meats. It is a very fast and forgiving recipe; I've never screwed it up and everyone loves it!
I've never tried it with almond milk or vegan cheese, but I can't see why that would be a problem. Another great thing about this recipe is that it's so cheap to make and can feed a lot of people. If you go to Aldi's (I love that place) you can literally make batches of this for weeks for just a few dollars.
This is a great recipe for parties or gatherings, and perfect for brunch. It almost turns out like a type of quiche but with a lot less work. If you don't make it the night before, preparing this dish for your oven can be done in 20 minutes or less.
Try this recipe for your next early gathering, you won't be disappointed and neither will your guests. It's a great dish for Christmas morning or any holiday get-together, too.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
- 4 large eggs
- 1 bag tater tots, frozen
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups cheese, shredded
- 1 cup veggies, chopped (your choice)
- 1 lb sausage (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray, to prevent sticking
- Spray your cooking pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the pan with rows of frozen tater tots until the bottom is covered.
- Whisk eggs, milk, cheese, and other ingredients (veggies or meat) in a bowl. Add black pepper and salt. If you are adding sausage, buy pre-cooked or cook it in a pan before mixing it with your eggs. Optional for a spicy dish- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pour this mixture over the tater tots in the pan and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 20-30 minutes until it's nice and bubbly. Serve and enjoy.
Another Great Breakfast Recipe
- Quick Egg Quiche Cupcakes With Mix and Match Filling...
These little breakfast egg quiches are super easy to make and delicious!
© 2021 Rebecca