Alyssa loves sharing her family's favorite recipes with the world. She is a wife and a mom who enjoys drinking copious amounts of coffee.
Easy Weeknight Dinner Inspiration
Recently, I had hamburger thawing in the refrigerator. I was planning on fixing tacos or a cheesy helper later in the week. Well, that day came and no one in my house was hungry for tacos, and I realized that I didn't have everything needed for a cheesy helper, either. Scrambling around my kitchen for inspiration, I laid eyes on a bag of frozen tater tots. Light bulb. Why not combine two delicious ingredients into one amazing dish? I recruited my husband, and this twisted casserole was born.
This is a simple, delicious dish that is perfect for those busy days when you don't have a ton of time to spend in the kitchen. A bit of prep time, throw it in the oven, and within an hour, you will have a tasty dinner your whole family will love!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 5 min
4 to 6 servings
- 1 to 3 lbs. hamburger
- 1 bag tater tots (I like Ore Ida Crispy Crowns)
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place half of the tater tots in the oven and cook until brown.
- Brown the hamburger in a skillet over medium heat, seasoning with optional salt and pepper.
- Drain the grease from the hamburger and add the onion. Stir. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the onion is almost transparent.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup. Stir well. Cook for a few minutes to warm the soup.
- Coat a 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread the cooked tater tots flat in the baking pan.
- Spread the hamburger mixture on top of the tater tots.
- Sprinkle a few frozen tater tots on top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. The tater tots on top should be golden brown.
Add ketchup on the side if desired. This dish pairs wonderfully with cooked corn on the cob.
I hope you and your family enjoy this dish as much as we do!
© 2017 Alyssa
Alyssa (author) from Ohio on July 18, 2017:
It is pretty tasty! Enjoy! :)
Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on July 18, 2017:
I just know I would love this! Face down in it until it was all gone. LOL Thanks for sharing and I'll definitely give it a go.
Alyssa (author) from Ohio on June 16, 2017:
It was delicious! I agree, some of the best recipes come from just experimenting in the kitchen. :)
Ryan from Louisiana, USA on June 16, 2017:
Man this looks delicious. I love when a dish like this gets created on the spot. That's how I came up with Italian gumbo. Will definitely have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.