Twisted Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Easy Weeknight Dinner Inspiration
Recently, I had hamburger thawing in the refrigerator. I was planning on fixing tacos or a cheesy helper later in the week. Well, that day came and no one in my house was hungry for tacos, and I realized that I didn't have everything needed for a cheesy helper, either. Scrambling around my kitchen for inspiration, I laid eyes on a bag of frozen tater tots. Light bulb. Why not combine two delicious ingredients into one amazing dish? I recruited my husband, and this twisted casserole was born.
This is a simple, delicious dish that is perfect for those busy days when you don't have a ton of time to spend in the kitchen. A bit of prep time, throw it in the oven, and within an hour, you will have a tasty dinner your whole family will love!
- 1 to 3 lbs. hamburger
- 1 bag tater tots (I like Ore Ida Crispy Crowns)
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place half of the tater tots in the oven and cook until brown.
- Brown the hamburger in a skillet over medium heat, seasoning with optional salt and pepper.
- Drain the grease from the hamburger and add the onion. Stir. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the onion is almost transparent.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup. Stir well. Cook for a few minutes to warm the soup.
- Coat a 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread the cooked tater tots flat in the baking pan.
- Spread the hamburger mixture on top of the tater tots.
- Sprinkle a few frozen tater tots on top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. The tater tots on top should be golden brown.
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
Add ketchup on the side if desired. This dish pairs wonderfully with cooked corn on the cob.
I hope you and your family enjoy this dish as much as we do!
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Alyssa