Perfect Tortilla Bowl Pans Product Review
This author loves kitchen products, but let's face it—you only have room for so many. As a result, I try to avoid buying gadgets, cooking pans, and specialty items unless I truly need them.
That said, I recently spied the Perfect Tortilla Salad Bowl Maker Pans on a trip to the grocery store. I should mention that everyone in our family is a huge fan of taco salads. Since the pans happened to be on sale, I decided to give them a try to see if they were the real deal.
For a very small investment, the Perfect Tortilla pans are definitely worth the money. This author discovered they're not only perfect for taco salads but with a little thought, the molds can be used to create all kinds of fabulous dishes.
Nonstick Tortilla Bowl Pans Positives
- Easy to use.
- Bowl molds are nonstick so reduces fat and calories--no frying.
- Stackable--easy to store.
- Takes only minutes to whip out multiple tortilla bowls.
- Use any kind of tortilla shell you'd like--corn, flour, multigrain.
- Use any size tortilla shell.
- Easy clean-up.
- Tortilla shells can be made ahead--store up to 1 week--simply reheat.
- Great gift idea.
- Tortilla bowls can be used for all kinds of recipes.
- Have a tortilla shell dinner party--use the shells for appetizers, main course and dessert.
- Think of all the great dishes you can make for events like the Super Bowl.
How to Make Homemade Tortilla Salad Bowls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (I set my oven at 350 degrees and just cooked the shells longer).
- Gently press the tortilla shells into the pans. You can spray with cooking sprayif desired but I did not--cuts down on cleanup.
- To avoid any puckering or blistering, I pricked the shells in a few places with a long fork. To avoid scratching the pans, however, prick the tortilla shells before placing in the pans.
- This was not suggested but I did find it helpful. Be sure not to use wide-tined forks, however, which could make larger holes.
- In minutes you have 4 beautifully crispy tortilla salad bowls.
- Remove from pans--let sit for 5 minutes before using.
- If making some to store, repeat the process to make as many as needed.
- Store in an airtight container up to 1 week. I used zip lock bags to store stacked bowls.
- Simply reheat in a preheated 325 degree oven for 3-5 minutes or microwave until just warm.
Tortilla Shell Salad Bowl Recipe Ideas
Tortilla Bowl Taco Salad Suggestions
- Beef, chicken, or beans
- Different cheeses like pepper jack and white cheddar
- Tomatoes or tomatillos
- Salsa verde or pico de gallo
Tortilla Bowls For Dips Suggestions
- Homemade bean dip with cheese
- Mock guacamole
- Pico de gallo
- Salsa verde
- Regular salsa
- 5-layer or 7-layer dip
- Cheese dip
- Any kind of dip
Tortilla Bowls for Desserts
- Make a cream cheese margarita dip for fresh fruit.
- Fill tortilla bowls with slices of fresh fruit or grapes.
- Use tortilla bowls to hold cookies.
- Fill tortilla bowls with candy.
- Use tortilla bowls for chocolate or caramel dip for fruit or angel food cake.
- Fill with nonfat frozen yogurt and sprinkles--make sundaes.
Tortilla Bowls for Breakfast
- Huevos Rancheros
- Huevos Revueltos
- Eggs Sonora
- Scrambled eggs with chorizo
- Tortilla bowls filled with breakfast casserole
- Fill tortilla bowls with breakfast burrito fillings
- Use tortilla bowls as replacement for toast
Cook Times for Tortilla Salad Bowls
Size of Torilla
6-1/2 to 8 inches
6-1/2 to 8 inches extra crispy
10 inches extra crispy
Cool time--all sizes
4-5 minutes in pan
How to Care for Perfect Tortilla Pans
- Wash before using in mild soapy water--dry thoroughly.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Use only silicone and plastic or wooden utensils with the pans to preserve nonstick surface.
- Do not exceed 400 degrees baking temperatures.
- Discard any pans that become worn or show signs of wear on nonstick surface.
- Handle with care using potholders when removing from oven.
- Pans cannot be used in microwaves or on stovetop.
- Avoid putting pans in water while still hot as they may warp.
- Do not let children use pans unsupervised.
Questions & Answers
Can you use tortilla bowl pans for deep-fried shells?
No, you should just use them for baking in the oven with raw tortilla shells.
Can I use corn tortillas for tortilla bowls?
Yes though you might have to cook them longer and may have to prick holes in them a bit more as they usually are denser than flour. I would try 1 or 2 and see how they go. You might have to reduce the heat also!
Can you use cake batter in tortilla bowl pans?
I suppose you could if you did not fill them too high. I have never tried that though.
© 2012 Audrey Kirchner