Walter Shillington writes about products he knows firsthand. His articles focus on healthcare, electronics, watches, and household items.
I own two sets of kitchen knives. Each consists of a wooden block that accommodates six knives.
The first set was purchased from Walmart for a meager price. The knife blades are thin and tend to bend easily. While not particularly sharp, the rasp-like edge of each blade allows them to function somewhat like a saw.
The second set was far more expensive. The blades are much thicker and composed of high-quality stainless steel. While these knives were originally extremely sharp, they have dulled over time.
Today I am taking a close look at a 16-piece kitchen knife set from Paris Rhone. It is priced midway between my other sets and includes an extensive collection of knives, a carving fork, and a pair of scissors.
This set of knives from Paris Rhone can be easily accommodated within its large woodblock. The collection consists of:
- 6 (4.5-inch) steak knives
- 1 (8-inch) chef's knife
- 1 (7-inch) santoku knife
- 1 (8-inch) bread knife
- 1 (5-inch) bread knife
- 1 (8-inch) carving knife
- 1 (5-inch) utility knife
- 1 (5.5-inch) boning knife
- 1 (3.5-inch) paring knife
- 1 (8-inch) carving form
- 1 pair kitchen scissors
- 1 built-in sharpener
Each blade is comprised of high carbon 5CR15MOV stainless steel and is fitted with an ABS full tang handle.
- Brand name: Paris Rhône
- Product name: 16 Piece Kitchen Knife Set
- Woodblock dimensions: 23.7 x 13.5 x 18.5 centimeters (9.3 x 5.3 x 7.3 inches)
- Blade material: High carbon 5CR15MOV stainless steel
- Handle material: ABS full tang handle supported by three rivets
- Sharpener included: Yes
- Carving fork: Yes
- Kitchen scissors: Yes
- Knives included: Six 4.5-inch steak knives, an 8-inch chef's knife, a 7-inch santoku knife, an 8-inch bread knife, a 5-inch bread knife, an 8-inch carving knife, 5-inch utility knife, 5.5-inch boning knife, and a 3.5-inch paring knife
Paris Rhône is trademarked by Euro-tech distribution. This company specializes in the design of innovative and convenient products.
The blades of these knives are constructed using 5CR15MOV steel. This type of metal is beneficial for kitchen knives because its high chromium content ensures superior corrosion resistance. This steel is slightly softer than the metal used in hunting knives. As a result, the kitchen knives are easy to sharpen but must be sharpened more often.
Each knife blade extends fully through a handle composed of two pieces of ABS riveted together. An extension of the metal blade referred to as the tang can be observed between the two ABS pieces.
ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) is an opaque thermoplastic and amorphous polymer. Thermoplastics liquefy instead of burning when heated, allowing them to be easily injection molded.
Read More From Delishably
The Knives and Accessories
- 8-inch chef's knife: This multipurpose knife is designed to slice, dice, mince, cut, and chop.
- 7-inch santoku knife: The wide blade can scoop food off a cutting board and is useful for cutting meat and dicing or slicing vegetables and fruits.
- 8- and 5-inch bread knives: The longer knife is ideal for slicing bread, baguettes, and soft vegetables. The 5-inch knife can be used as a cheese, pizza, sandwich, and fruit knife.
- Steak knives: Six 4.5-inch steak knives are included. They feature sharp and smooth-cutting blades that can handle the toughest of steaks.
- Boning knife: This 5.5-inch knife is equipped with a sharp tip that can easily pierce poultry, meat, and fish, allowing the efficient removal of bones.
- 8-inch carving knife: This knife was designed to cut smaller and thinner slices of meats, fish, and larger veggies precisely. Perfect for roasts sandwich meats, crusty baguettes, and soft tomatoes. While admittedly a bit of overkill, I like to use this knife to slice cheese.
- 5-inch utility knife: This knife is used for everything from slicing fruit to trimming meat and poultry.
- Paring knife: Best used for peeling and slicing small food items like fruits and vegetables.
- 8-inch carving fork: This fork provides a method of holding food securely in place while keeping my valuable hands away from the sharp edge of the knife.
- Kitchen scissors: These scissors are ideal for snipping herbs and lettuces, cutting open food packaging, and breaking down poultry.
- Wooden block with sharpener: The complete collection of knives can be stored safely in the rubberwood knife block with its built-in sharpener.
Standard of Quality
To put the quality of these knives into proper perspective, I compared the Paris Rhône five-inch utility knife with utility knives from my two older knife sets.
The cheap utility knife's blade is only 1 millimeter thick, and it is far more flexible than desirable. While the edge is dull, this knife cuts thick slices reasonably well due to a slightly serrated, rasp-like edge. The knife's two-piece ABS riveted handle fits comfortably.
My frightfully expensive utility knife's blade is 2.4 millimeters thick and very sturdy. While the knife's cutting edge had dulled through extensive use, four swipes across the Paris Rhone knife sharpener brought it back to a razor-sharp edge. The handle enclosing the blade's tang is composed of a rubber-like material that provides an excellent grip and is extremely comfortable. I would prefer this type of handle if I worked in a busy restaurant kitchen.
The Paris Rhone utility knife's blade is 2 millimeters thick and virtually as sturdy as its more expensive competitor. The knife's cutting edge is razor-sharp, and its ABS handle provides a secure and comfortable grip.
While I normally live on prepackaged frozen food, the review of this knife set provided the impetus to cook up a juicy sirloin roast in my air fryer.
The carving knife and fork worked well, slicing off a few succulent slices from my roast.
The next day, I grabbed the utility knife, thinly slicing cold roast beef, a tomato, and an onion.
That evening, for a snack, I cut up the remainder of my banana bread using the eight-inch bread knife. As expected, it worked very well.
This set is equipped with a wide variety of kitchen knives, a carving fork, and a pair of sturdy scissors. The woodblock provides excellent storage, even providing slots to accommodate the six steak knives.
A built-in sharpening ensures the knives can be kept razor-sharp. In my opinion, every knife block should include a sharpener.
Overall quality is excellent. The knife handles provide a secure grip and are reasonably comfortable. The blades themselves are constructed from good quality steel, which is highly resistant to corrosion and easily sharpened. The Paris Rhône 16-Piece Knife Set is strongly recommended.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Walter Shillington