The Best Instant-Read Digital Thermometer for Grilling
If You Barbecue, You Need This
If you ever barbecue, fry, broil, or bake individual pieces of meat, the best tool you can use to check the temperature is an instant-read digital thermometer. An instant-read thermometer's job is to give you an accurate reading of the internal temperature of your food in a few seconds.
If you are fanatical about grilling your meats to the perfect internal temperature, you need this magnificent cooking tool.
- First, you won't have to slice into your chicken breast or filet mignon to check the temperature of your meat and release all the internal juices.
- Second, it's pretty common for one person to like their steak cooked medium rare and someone else to want it cooked medium or well-done. A great instant-read thermometer will make it easy to prick a small hole into your meat to get an accurate reading, so you can cook everyone's meat perfectly.
It's Review-Worthy Good
The Thermapen is the best instant-read thermometer I've found. It's so good, I'm writing this review of the Thermapen. Here is what makes this thermometer so good:
- First, it gives accurate readings extremely quickly with just a small incision in the meat.
- Second, it's very easy to use without cables—you just open the the needle like the blade of a pocket knife and it turns on.
- Third, the digital screen is so large it's extremely easy to read, even when it's getting dark. I have one of the more recent models that is also splash-proof. That's a good thing because it's not uncommon for me to drink a beer or a glass of wine when cooking and spill a bit.
Checking Multiple Sections of the Meat
The other thing that is really great about an instant-read thermometer is if you are baking or roasting a piece of meat with a regular meat thermometer, you can easily check other sections with the instant-read thermometer. For example, I try to stick my meat thermometer deep in the thigh of a turkey when I roast one. When that hits the desired temperature, I double-check the reading by using my Thermapen in the other thigh and breast to make sure it's done cooking. The instant-reads are great for this.
The Thermapen isn't cheap. It goes for around $90, but I consider it one of my favorite tools for cooking now.
Thermapen Has Awesome Customer Support
I had an unfortunate accident with my Thermapen. I put it in my back pocket and slipped and fell on it. The casing cracked. It still worked, but only if I held the needle in just the right way. I decided I'd better get another one.
I called Thermoworks and asked if I could get a discount on a new pen because I had broken mine. They said, "Just send us a check for $25 and we will fix it up." They emailed me RMA instructions, and within two weeks, my favorite grilling accessory was back at work. I highly recommend Thermoworks products!