We're truly thrilled with our Instant Pot, and it's become a favorite tool in our kitchen. This is my review.
What Can This Instant Pot Do?
The Instant Pot is a 7-in-1 multi-functional cooker that can perform the following functions:
- Pressure cooker
- Slow cooker
- Rice cooker/porridge maker
- Sauté/browning machine
- Yogurt maker
High-pressure cooking can reduce your cooking time up to 70%. The Instant Pot has a large, easy-to-use control panel with 14 built-in programs: soup, meat/stew, bean/ chili, poultry, sauté, steam, rice, porridge, multigrain, slow cook, keep warm, yogurt, pasteurize, and fermented rice.
- The steam function allows you to prepare fresh or frozen vegetables in less than three minutes.
- Potatoes can be completely steamed in about 15 minutes.
- Chili or stew dishes take an hour.
Pros and Cons: Quick Guide
Cooks food quickly
Thin aluminum heat-distributing disk
Made of stainless steel
Silicone seal contains odors
Good automatic function performance
Small for some dishes
Glass lid and steaming containers not included
Can make Greek yogurt
Cooking control learning curve
Great rice cooker
We're truly thrilled with our Instant Pot, and it's become the favorite tool in the kitchen. It cooks food quickly and gives you free time.
- The stainless steel provides a good, clean, and healthy surface.
- We can go shopping and, when we get back, it's like someone's been cooking for us.
- It's great for making Greek yogurt, which is probably the most compelling reason we bought it in the first place. To our knowledge, it's the only pressure cooker around that will do this.
This appliance is a very important part of our kitchen. We've owned it for about nine months now and use it often, especially when we've got a crowd coming. However, there are some shortcomings that we've discovered that should be pointed out:
- The thin aluminium disk means that your pasta and tomato sauce recipe will scorch in the Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, However, it's not a heavy price to pay if it means you only have one recipe you can't cook.
- The silicone seal contains odors, which is a problem if you cook lots of curries. We now buy spare seals and replace them once a month.
- The glass lid and steaming container are accessories that don't come with the package. They are must-have pieces that should be included with the pot.
- The cooking controls take a while to get used to, but manual control is easy.
|Features||Instant Pot 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker|
Microprocessor for Controlled Processes
Thermometer, double pressure sensor, lid position sensor
Dual Pressure settings: High 10.2 - 11.6PSI, Low 5.8 - 7.2PSI
0.5 - 20 hours at 3 different temperature settings: Normal mode 90-96°C/ 194-205°F (Medium in a common cooker) More Mode: 93 - 99°C/ 199-210°F (High in a common slow cooker), Less mode: 88-94°C / 190-201°F (Low on a common slow cooker)
30 minutes at 3 temperature settings
Automatic keep warm
Yes, up to 10 hours
Programmable to 99 hours
Yoghurt: Up to 99 hours 30 minutes at 36-43°C / 96- 109°F. Jiu Niang (fermented glutinous rice: 30 -34°C/ 86-93°F. Pasteurizing milk: 83°C / 180°F
Built in smart programs
Up to 24 hours
10 safety mechanisms
18/8 Food Grade 304 stainless
Stainless steel cooking pot
Steel inner pot
Lid Fin holders on base
Condensation collector & Cord rack
Double shield on float valve and steam release vent
Capacity and heating element power
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker: 6qt inner pot and 1000 Watt heating elemen
1. Can you use the Instant Pot for canning?
We haven't tried it. According to the manufacturer, you can successfully use the Instant Pot for canning.
2. What PSI does it use?
It's rated at a high of 15PSI, but in reality, the high is about 12PSI and the low is 6PSI.
3. What are the Fahrenheit temperatures?
- Working temperature is 244° and 229° low.
- Slow cook 190°
- Sauté 320°
- Yogurt 109°
4. Can you cook from frozen?
Yes, you can cook from frozen with the Instant Pot.
5. How much rice can I cook?
Up to 10 cups.
6. Does the Instant Pot Duo come with a rice paddle?
Yes, it comes with a stainless steel steam rack, rice paddle, measuring cup, instruction book, recipes, and a cooking timetable.
7. Is it difficult to clean?
Not at all. If you've cooked something very sticky, then let it soak for an hour and then use a soft scrubber to clean it.
8. What is the inner lid made of?
9. How long is the warranty?
10. How long does it take to cook rice?
Brown rice takes about 30 minutes.
11. Is there any Teflon in the Instant Pot Duo?
Absolutely zero Teflon.
12. Can it go in a dishwasher?
The inner stainless steel pot can be cleaned in a dishwasher.
13. Do you have to fill the Instant Pot to full capacity each time to cook?
Not at all. Just follow the guidelines, and you can cook in minimal liquid.
14. How much does it weigh?
15. Can you use it manually?
Yes. If you want to control the time and temperature yourself, you can operate it manually.
16. Does the outside of the Instant Pot Duo get hot?
The outside only gets warm, but the lid gets hot. Instant Pot does warn you not to touch it when in use.
17. How long to cook a chicken and will a whole chicken fit inside?
About 45 minutes. Yes, it fits an entire chicken.
18. What modes are available?
The sauté mode has three different components (browning, simmering, and thickening) and you can also use the slow cook mode to cook traditional recipes.
19. Is there a timer?
It has a 24-hour timer for delayed cooking. It also has an automatic "keep warm" function so you can hold the temperature until your food is ready to serve, for up to 10 hours.
20. How big is it?
The Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker has a 6-quart capacity. If you want to make yogurt, it can heat up to five litres of milk in the cooking pot. The heating element is 1000 watts.
- A safety lid lock that makes it impossible to open accidentally while it's in its pressurized cycle.
- A pressure regulator ensuring that the working pressure is under the 15psi limit.
- Smart detection of a leaky lid.
- An anti-blockage vent that prevents food from obstructing the vent.
- Excess pressure protection controller releases excess pressure into an internal safety chamber.
- A high-temperature monitor avoids burning food.
More About the Instant Pot Series
© 2014 Jerry Fisher
Jerry Fisher (author) from Wellington on March 22, 2018:
Thanks Aanel. You're right!
Aanel on March 22, 2018:
Thanks for this thorough review!
I think you mean "retains odors" rather than "contains odors".