How to Make Eggs Florentine With Longganisa and Mushroom
Eggs Florentine is a variation of the classic eggs Benedict recipe. Both recipes include a soft, poached egg and a slightly toasted muffin, but the difference is that the Canadian bacon of eggs Benedict is replaced with spinach. Eggs Florentine, therefore, is generally considered to be the healthier breakfast option.
Today I prepared my home-cooked version of eggs Florentine, but I created a poached egg twist in a bun. The egg twist involved the delicious flavors of mushroom and Longganisa. Longganisa is a type of Spanish sausage that has been since been adopted by other countries, which have created their own versions.
Traditionally, egg Benedict is served with hollandaise sauce, but I omitted it as I'm not really a fan of this sauce.
Let me show you the step-by-step procedure for how to make eggs Florentine with longganisa and mushroom.
For the Bread:
- 1 bun, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon butter
For the Spinach Mixture:
- 2 tablespoons water spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion, chopped
For the Poached Egg:
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons longganisa
- 1 teaspoon mushroom
- 1 teaspoon onion
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil
- 1 medium plate
- 1 small plate
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
For Assembling the Poached Egg:
- 1 mug or ramekin or bowl
- plastic wrap or cling film
- saute pan
- cooking spoon
- Separate egg yolk and egg white. Set aside.
- Heat pan with small amount of oil. Saute onion and water spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion, mushroom, and longganisa. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Add the longganisa mixture into the bowl of egg whites. Mix all the ingredients until well blended.
- Bring water to a simmer in a pot.
- Arrange plastic wrap in a small bowl, ramekin, or cup. The size of the plastic wrap must be enough to hold the longganisa and egg white mixture, and egg yolk.
- Grease the sides of the plastic wrap with oil to easily release the eggs once cooked.
- Transfer half of the longganisa and egg white mixture into the ramekin. Then add the egg yolk. Then pour the remaining mixture.
- Carefully tie the ends of the plastic wrap. Make sure that is tight enough to avoid leaking.
- Drop it in the simmering water. Cook for about 2 to 4 minutes for soft to hard result.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to stay a little bit into the water for 3 to 5 minutes. Depending on the desired result.
- While waiting, heat butter in a pan. Toast the sliced bread on both sides.
- Start assembling the eggs Florentine with longganisa and mushroom. First, lay down the bottom part of the bread. Line it with sauteed spinach. Unwrap the poached egg and place it on top of the spinach.
- Serve it with hollandaise sauce on top if preferred.
The Finished Dish
Tips and Techniques
- Use any kind of bread.
- Replace longganisa with any type of sausage.
- Add a spoonful of hollandaise on top of the egg if desired.
- Grease the plastic film with butter to add a layer of flavor.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan