I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
What Is an Omelet?
An omelet is a dish consisting of beaten eggs that are fried in oil or butter. Omelets can be cooked in many different ways by adding various vegetables and meats. Certain places even have their own signature omelets, such as the Denver omelet and the Spanish omelet.
A sardine is a small oily fish. It is one of the most popular canned goods that we can easily buy at the market. Canned sardines are available packed in several different sauces, which makes them a very flexible ingredient.
Since I'm an omelet lover, I decided to try adding sardines and vegetables to come up with a flavorful variation. Enjoy this breakfast dish by following my recipe below.
- 3 eggs, beaten, seasoned
- 80 grams spicy sardines, in tomato sauce, drained
- 1 tablespoon bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mushroom, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil
- Spring onions, garnish
- 1 medium plate
- 2 medium bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Chopping board
- Spatula or cooking spoon
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 to 3 servings
- Heat pan with oil and butter. Saute onion.
- Add bell pepper and mushroom.
- Mix in the tomato.
- Stir in spicy sardines. Break them into small pieces. Continue cooking.
- Pour in beaten eggs. Season more if needed.
- Gently fold the cooked outer portions of the omelet toward the center.
- Cover the pan to cook thoroughly.
- Serve it as an open-faced or half-moon-shape omelet.
Tips and Techniques
- Use ordinary sardines rather than spicy ones.
- Add other vegetables that you prefer.
- Flavor up your omelet with any seasonings available.
- Choose organic chicken eggs as a healthier option.
- Increase its spiciness level by adding hot sauce or freshly chopped chilies.
- For extra flavor, serve the drained sardine liquid with your omelet.
More Delicious Sardine Recipes
- How to Make Sardine Pancakes
Are you bored with canned sardines? Enjoy them in a whole new way with this delicious sardine pancake recipe!
- How to Make Canned Sardines Fried Rice
Have you tried adding canned sardines to your fried rice? I tried doing this and was pleasantly surprised by the delicious results. Take your boring canned sardines to the next level.
© 2018 Travel Chef