Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Making dahi (curd or yoghurt) at home is pretty easy if you know the correct technique. The benefit of making it at home is that it is far healthier than the store-bought version, as there are no preservatives, artificial flavours or colours used in its preparation. It's cheaper as well.
Usually, full-fat or full-cream milk is used to prepare thick and well-set yoghurt. In my recipe, I'll share some tips that will help you prepare thick and perfectly set yoghurt with cream-removed milk every time you make it.
Do try it and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
5 hours 10 min
- 500 ml raw milk, boiled, cooled and cream removed
- 1/2 tsp jaman (yoghurt starter)
- Boil the raw milk, then let it cool down to room temperature. Keep it in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, remove the cream layer formed on the top. Use this milk for making the yoghurt.
- Heat the milk on medium heat until it reaches a temperature at which you can comfortably dip and hold your finger in it. Remove from heat.
- Add the yoghurt starter, stir it in and then cover with a lid. Keep it in a warm spot in the kitchen and let it sit for 4-5 hours for the yoghurt to set. During this time, do not move the bowl.
- After about 5 hours, the yoghurt should be ready to eat.
Summer vs. Winter Preparation
The method outlined above is for making yoghurt in the summer season. For the winter season, some changes in the method need to be made.
- Milk temperature: must be slightly hotter
- Yoghurt starter: increase to 1 tsp
- Bowl covering: instead of a lid, use a warm shawl or blanket
- Setting time: increase to about 8-10 hours
How to Make Thick Dahi (Curd or Yoghurt) From Cream-Removed Milk
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly