I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
As a front-of-the-house chef onboard a cruise ship, I cook such dishes as eggs, pasta, stir-fry, and panini, to name a few. "Front of the house" means cooking in front of the passengers. During breakfast, the vegetable omelet is one of the most popular orders—specifically, the water spinach and mushroom omelet. One passenger jokingly told me that he wanted to be as strong as Popeye, and that's why he loves eating spinach so much. Whether Popeye's belief about the health benefits of spinach is right or wrong, I can't say. What I can say, however, is that this particular omelet is one of my most frequent requests.
I decided to try cooking this omelet for myself at home. It's undeniably healthy, and it tasted so good, too. Follow my step-by-step procedure to learn how to make this breakfast dish.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup water spinach, cooked and chopped
- 3 tablespoons button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil
- 1 medium bowl
- 2 small bowls
- measuring cups
- cooking spoon
- Heat a pan with a small amount of cooking oil.
- Saute mushrooms until cooked.
- While waiting, season eggs with salt and pepper. Slightly beat the eggs.
- Once cooked, add the water spinach. Mix and cook for 1 more minute.
- Pour in beaten eggs.
- Gently fold the cooked outer portions of the omelet toward the center.
- Flip the omelet to cook the other side. Otherwise, simply fold the omelet if you prefer to have a wet or runny center.
Kangkong and Mushroom Omelet Step-by-Step Procedure
Tips and Techniques
- Make sure to cook the condiments first before adding the eggs.
- Flip the omelet to cook it thoroughly.
- Use a non-stick pan to prevent the eggs from sticking.
- Do not flip the omelet if you prefer the center to be runny. Just fold it into a half-moon shape. Then immediately serve.
More Water Spinach Recipes
- How to Make Sausage and Water Spinach in Chili Garlic Oil
Do you want to prepare something healthy but within a budget? This recipe for sausage and water spinach in chili garlic oil fits the bill. Try it for yourself!
- How to Make Crispy Water Spinach With Spicy Soy-Vinegar Dip
Water spinach (also known as Chinese watercress) is a popular leafy green that perfectly complements any dish. Learn how I transform this simple vegetable into an outstanding appetizer. It's a bit greasy but absolutely delicious!
© 2018 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on November 16, 2018:
absolutely! If you have time, you can try this simple and delicious omelet.
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on November 16, 2018:
I love all of these ingredients and omlets are great. This is a great but simple recipe.
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on November 15, 2018:
I really love eating water spinach. Not only it's affordable, but also nutritious.
Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on November 15, 2018:
A healthy alternative. I wish I can get water spinach here but I have done this with spinach and it is okay.
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on November 14, 2018:
Absolutely! It was my first time to try this even if I've been cooking this for so long. I really love it. Hope you try it too!
Miebakagh Fiberesima from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, NIGERIA. on November 14, 2018:
Hello, Dred Cuan, thanks for sharing. This could be a nice breakfast. Good day.