A long time autograph dealer/writer, Anderson's autograph articles have been published in The Saturday Evening Post & many other magazines.
Actress Julie Harris' Favorite Cheese Souffle Recipe
This should be an easy cheese souffle to make. Julie wrote that if you wished, you could use Romano cheese, or any other to your liking.
In any event, the following cheese souffle is presented exactly the way Julie Harris would have prepared it. And since it serves two, you have to wonder if she ever made this on the set of East of Eden to share with her handsome co-star James Dean, or maybe later with actor Paul Newman when they filmed Harper in 1966.
Who Is Julie Harris?
Actress Julie Harris was a star of stage, television, and cinema. Some of her Hollywood movie credits include East of Eden, The Haunting, You're a Big Boy Now, Requiem For a Heavyweight, Reflections in a Golden Eye, Gorillas in the Mist, and many others.
On television, from 1980 to 1987, she played Lilimae Clements on Knot's Landing.
Born in Michigan in 1925, she broke into acting on the New York stage. She was eventually nominated for 10 Tony Awards, of which she won five. She also won three Emmys, a Grammy, and a Best Actress Academy Award nomination.
During her storied career, she acted opposite some of Hollywood's biggest male heartthrobs, including James Dean, Paul Newman, and Marlon Brando.
In 2005, she was named a Kennedy Center Honoree along with Robert Redford, Tina Turner, and Tony Bennett.
Harris retired in 2009, a year before suffering a career-ending stroke, and passed away in 2013 from congestive heart failure.
- 1/12 pound butter, (about 1 1/3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- dash cayenne
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, separated
- Melt butter over low heat. Blend well and add the flour, salt, and cayenne. Pour milk in gradually, stirring constantly. When smooth and thick, boil for 2 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir a little of the sauce into the egg yolks, which have been slightly beaten. Then slowly stir the egg yolk misture into the sauce.
- Beat the egg whites till very stiff. Fold carefully into cheese mixture. Pour into double or two single ungreased casseroles.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Julie Harris And Her Movies
How I Acquired Julie's Cheese Souffle Recipe
I've been an autograph dealer and collector for over 40 years. During the past four decades, I occasionally purchased recipes that celebrities were kind enough to send to a fan who requested one. In several cases, I was able to purchase recipes that had been collected for the purpose of publishing in a planned cookbook.
This original simple cheese souffle recipe was Julie Harris' favorite, and she was kind enough to share it with one of her fans.
And now, I'm sharing it with you, and I hope you like it enough to add it to your list of best cheese souffle recipes!
© 2018 Tim Anderson