Lemon Gingersnap Ice Cream Recipe
Ages ago, Trader Joe's used to sell this delicious Lemon and Triple Gingersnap Ice Cream that was unique and inventive. Sadly, it was discontinued, to the grief of foodies everywhere.
This is my attempt at recreating the amazingness of that ice cream, and I'm glad to say that my recipe is every bit as good as the original, maybe even a little bit better!
I highly recommend using an ice cream maker, instead of simply freezing the base. If you do that, the ice cream will freeze completely solid, like a giant ice block. If you do decide to go that route, please stir the ice cream every 30 minutes or so to incorporate some air into the mixture.
The ice cream maker I use is the Cuisinart ICE-21. It's pretty inexpensive, and freezes ice cream in about 30 minutes.
Ice Cream Maker I Recommend
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 3 lemons
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 20 gingersnaps (preferably Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps)
- Mix together the lemon juice, zest, sugar, and salt and put in the refrigerator.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until just boiling, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl, then add the milk while whisking continuously to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Return the milk and egg yolks back to the saucepan, and cook on low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the custard through a sieve and refrigerate until chilled.
- While the custard is chilling, crush 20 gingersnaps, making sure to leave some bigger pieces.
- Combine the custard, heavy cream, and lemon mixture and then follow your ice cream maker's instructions for churning the custard. In the last 5 minutes of churning, add the crushed gingersnaps.
More by this Author
Japan is a wonderful place to visit, however there are many weird foods to be found there.
Coconut sticky rice with mango is a tasty dessert to make for any occasion. Here is the recipe!
Levain Bakery in New York City makes some of the best chocolate chip cookies in the world. Here's a recipe for cookies just like theirs!
No comments yet.