Two Mother's Day Breakfast in Bed Recipes (Easy for Kids)
Eggs on a Cloud and Eggs in a Nest are fun and easy ways to give breakfast bling to eggs.
A Mom's Day Tradition
Moms love breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day! Somewhat a tradition, it is so cute and endearing when kids plan breakfast in bed for Mom. Busily concocted and then carried in on a tray with flowers, even runny eggs and burnt toast is appreciated.
The week before Mother’s Day, you could practice making these two easy recipes—maybe the kids will get the hint! Or better yet, share the recipes now with Dad and really be “surprised” when you receive breakfast in bed on the big day.
2 Recipes for Eggs and Toast
There are a lot of variations for the two different recipes for eggs and toast. Some are easy and others are so elegant as to rival eggs Benedict.
- Eggs on a Cloud: Egg whites are whipped, and the yolks are cooked inside.
- Eggs in a Nest: Eggs are cooked inside holes that have been cut out in slices of bread.
One idea for eggs in a nest is to use a shaped cookie cutter for cutting the hole from the bread. Use a cookie cutter to match the holiday!
Some cooks like to use layers of phyllo dough baked in muffin cups then adding the cooked ingredients (ham, cheese, garlic, and melted butter) inside the phyllo “baskets.” Other recipes for eggs in a cloud call for ingredients like grated gourmet cheese, chives, or crumbled bacon.
My recipes are much easier and make impressive egg dishes for Mother's Day.
Eggs on a Cloud Recipe
- 1 egg per person, room temperature
- Ham, thinly sliced
- Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, per 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly toast and butter the bread.
- Top with ham and cheese slices.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Top the toast slices with a serving spoon size dollop of egg white.
- Make a depression in the “cloud” with the back of a spoon.
- Slide egg yolks into the “clouds.”
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the egg is set and egg whites are golden brown.
Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Eggs in a nest is an especially easy eggs and toast recipe for kids. I used Texas Toast for the bread. I thought it would be less mess if the hole was somewhat thicker than regular bread slices. I really wanted to use a flower-shaped cookie cutter but we couldn’t find one. I used a biscuit cutter instead. I toasted up the “holes,” buttered them and served them with cream cheese, diced apple, and raisins.
- 1 or 2 eggs per person
- 1 slice bread for each egg Texas toast, other sliced bread if desired
- Butter, softened
- Salt and pepper
- Cut a hole with a biscuit or cookie cutter in each slice of bread
- Butter the bread and keep the holes
- Brown the bread unbuttered side down in a skillet
- Crack and drop the egg in the hole
- Cook for 3 minutes
- Transfer to baking sheet using a spatula
- Finish cooking under the broiler for 3-5 more minutes
An “Eggstraordinary” Tradition
I hope these two recipes will help make Mom’s Day a little more special this year. The recipes are really easy and delicious. They could become some of the kid’s favorite recipes for breakfast. Happy Mother’s Day!