Paleo Diet Breakfast: Egg Muffins with Sausage and Broccoli
Healthy Breakfast On-The-Go
A healthy breakfast is such a luxury nowadays. With my busy working schedule, there is hardly any time in the morning to sit down and eat breakfast. That extra 10 minutes and 2 snooze buttons make a difference.
Allow me to introduce to you an easier way of eating a healthy breakfast on-the-go. This is a recipe for an egg muffin with gluten-free sausage. It sounds funny. It looks different. But it works! And it's delicious!
These egg muffins are also Paleo and gluten-free, using a gluten-free organic chicken sausage as the star ingredient. There is no flour involved. Excessive sugar and preservatives are not needed either. It's a high protein breakfast that is easy to make, and will give you energy throughout the morning.
So let's get started on the recipe. You will be surprised with how easy it is and that why you've never thought of making them before!
More Paleo Recipes
One of the difficulties of eating Paleo is figuring out what to eat for breakfast. We know that breakfast is such an important meal of the day. Yet some of us, or most of us reach out to convenient foods such as sugar-laden cereal, high carbohydrate bagel, or packaged Pop Tarts. On top that,if you are a Paleo eater eliminating dairy, sugar, and grains can be a challenge to eat a healthy breakfast.
Some of my Cross-fit friends are sharing with me some of their great Paleo breakfast ideas. And with their workout schedule starting at 6 am in the morning, it's hard to actually have time to make breakfast. With this recipe, they are now able to prepare a batch the night before and have an omelet egg muffin ready the next morning. They can also eat them throughout the week since the muffins can last a few days in the refrigerator.
Omelet in a Muffin?!
The other day when I was making my rounds at the Costco sampling carts, I discovered a new packaged chicken sausage called Rosie.
It’s an Italian Style Organic Chicken Sausage, with the words “gluten-free” and “USDA ORGANIC” stamped on the left corner of the package.
The sausage is made from organic chicken, raised in a stressed-free environment and fed a certified organic vegetarian diet. What all this translates to is you could be eating a sausage that is not harmful to your body.
The package also reads:
- No antibiotics, hormones, MGS, or gluten!
I think it's important to start the day off right, with some greens with your eggs! Why not add some broccoli or bell peppers in with your egg muffins?
Ingredients for 12 servings
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ teas baking powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional: Chopped chives
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees F
- Chop your vegetables and sausage links into small pieces. Make sure it's diced into smaller sizes than usual. Oil your non stick pan and quickly sauté over medium heat for about 2-5 minutes until it’s slightly brown.
- Turn off heat, and add your choice of vegetables.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients (eggs, oil, baking powder, salt, pepper).
- Spray PAM or lightly grease a cupcake pan. Spoon out the sausage and vegetable mixture into the cupcake pan.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the sausage mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the eggs look solid and cooked.
- Optional: sprinkle with bacon!