Jamaican Ginger Cake Recipe
Mcvities Jamaican ginger cake has always been a favorite of many who have lived in England. Tearing open the packet, cutting off a slice... then out came the Birds instant custard and dessert was made. My sister in-law when younger, used to buy a Ginger cake and just eat the whole thing to herself while walking around town. This is not recommended if you are dieting.
This cake has many happy memories for me and has also been a mission to get the right recipe that is something similar to the commercial one. The Mcvities brand is a guarded secret as to what quantities of each spice is used to give you that sunny caribbean taste in a cake with a sticky topping.
While eating this dessert, you don't get the feeling that it is unhealthy. Ginger is an amazing spice, although used in many countries for medicinal use, in the U.K we had no end of ginger products, cakes, drinks and Ginger snap cookies (called biscuits in England) that we would munch our way through after a long day at school.
- 1/2 cup Butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup Molasses/algarobina
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 cup Natural plain yogurt
- 1 zest Of small lime
- 1 tsp Vanilla paste
- 2 Cups Plain flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Mortons salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
Let's put the mix together
- Preheat the oven to around 350F
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, honey, molasses & your sugar until smooth in texture. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Add to the mix, lemon zest, vanilla and yogurt then continue to mix until combined together.
- To the mix, add dry ingredients, and continue to mix until all ingredients are mixed evenly.
- Place in a silicone loaf tin and bake for 55-60 minutes.
Jamaican gingercake/gingerbreadClick thumbnail to view full-size
- After about 40 mins check your cake by inserting a toothpick or thin knife to see if it comes out clean. Cook until the toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Leave your Cake in the silicone tin until cooled before removing.
- Wrap the Jamaican ginger cake in aluminium foil and leave for 4 days before serving. This allows the cake to go more moist & develop a sticky topping.
- Serve with plenty of hot vanilla custard or vanilla ice cream.
- Only buy small amounts of ground ginger as it looses its essential oils responsible for that nice warm taste.
- Use a paper cake liner in your cake tin to prevent sticking.
- Queen Elizabeth I invented the Gingerbread man, presenting them as gifts in the image of some of her most distinguished guests.
- Henry VIII recommended using ginger as a remedy for curing the plague.