15 Ways to Doctor a Brownie Mix
15 Ways to Doctor a Brownie Mix
Let me make this clear: brownie mix begs you to add your magic to them. Below are some suggestions for you to take a pre-made mix and improve it greatly. Some take a little effort, and some are quite simple. So if give them all a try, you should end up with some wonderful brownies.
- M&Ms: Sprinkle M&M candies over the top of the mix in the pan before baking. At different times, try plain M&Ms and peanut M&Ms. You will end up with some great flavors.
- A Chip Off the Old Block: Spread milk chocolate, white chocolate, or peanut butter chips over the top of the brownies as soon as they come out of the oven. They will melt over the top of the brownies, and you will have a unique brownie. I have taken it a step further some times and mixed all three flavors of chips together and spread them over the top of a just baked pan of brownies. Remember they get spread over your brownies as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Better Than Vanilla: Add 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract to the brownie mix when you mix up the brownies. Be sure to use real vanilla extract not the imitation stuff.
- Fudge the Recipe: Bake the brownies for 10 minutes less than the time on the box. They should still be fudgy in the center when you remove them from the oven. Spread the top of the cooled pan of brownies with a cup of sweet chocolate chips or butterscotch chips that you have melted on the stove.
- Peppermint Wonders: Buy 4-6 large peppermint patties and chop them up and add them to the brownie mix before you mix it up and bake it.
- Mounds of Chocolate: Stir a handful of chopped up Mounds bars into the mix as you are mixing it up.
- For the Coffee Addict: Add 1 tablespoon of powdered instant coffee and a pinch of cinnamon to the mix as you are mixing it up.
- Get a Little Tropical: Top a pan of baked brownies with caramel topping, sweetened flaked coconut, and chopped sweetened pecans.
- Add Cream Cheese: Swirl softened cream cheese into the batter just before baking the brownies. For a unique twist try using orange or strawberry cream cheese.
- Get Nutty: Stir sliced almonds, chopped dried cherries, and a dash of almond extract into the brownies before baking.
- Triple Threat: Make triple chocolate brownies by mixing white, milk, and semi-sweet chocolate chips into the batter before baking.
- Macadamia Nuts and White Chips: Add chopped macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips to the batter and drop it by the spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet for wonderful brownie cookies. Bake until crisp at the edges but soft in the centers about 8-10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Go Bananas: Fold a cup of mashed banana into the brownie mix before baking.
- A Brush With Kahlua: Swab hot baked brownies with Kahlua when they come out of the oven. Just brush it on.
- More Chocolate and Nuts: For a nostalgic version, mix a handful of chopped walnuts and a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips into the brownie batter.
And there's 15 tricks you can do with brownies, but there are a lot more things you could do. Think about it and see what you can come up with to jazz up that pan of brownies.
It's How You Slice a Brownie That Counts
Who says a brownie has to be square. Add some pizazz.
- Bake brownies 20-25 minutes and bake them in a pie pan instead of a square pan. Cut them out in wedges instead of squares.
- Use a smaller, deeper pan for thicker brownies. They'll bake in about 40 minutes, and then cut them out extra large or smaller for tea parties.
- Cut brownies into rounds with a biscuit cutter and sandwich two together with your favorite jam. Dust the top with powdered confectioners sugar.
- Dust brownies with confectioners sugar to jazz them up.
- Crumble up brownies and serve them over ice cream.