My Great-Grandmother's Recipe
My great-grandmother, Dora Rebecca Sistrunk, was born in South Carolina. She baked this divinity cake with her mother and sisters for many church socials. When she became a mother, she passed down the recipe to her daughter, my grandmother Knight, who then passed it down to my mother and me.
Grandmother Knight said that her mother once won first place at a community fair with this cake.
I have made this cake only once for a large family gathering, but I have relatives who like to make it for our family events.
Grandmother Knight said that her mother, Dora Rebecca Sistrunk, won first place at a community fair in South Carolina with her divinity cake. I don't remember the church or the town she was in because she was just visiting.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
1 hour 45 min
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons flavoring
- 1 cup raisins, chopped and dredged with flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, cream the butter thoroughly.
- Add sugar gradually and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift together three times.
- Add flour, alternately with milk, a small amount at a time. Beat after each addition until smooth.
- Add flavoring.
- Fold in egg whites
- Grease three 9-inch pans with butter. Pour 2/3 of the batter equally into two of the pans. In the remaining batter, add the raisins, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix well and then pour into the third pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes or until done.
- When the cake layers have completely cooled, assemble by applying the frosting between the layers, on top, and on the sides.
- 2 egg whites unbeaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar or 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine all of the ingredients except vanilla in the upper part of a double boiler. Cook.
- Beat constantly until it attains a spreadable consistency or until it holds peaks.
- Blend in the vanilla.
- Make enough to cover your cake.
© 2022 Barbara Purvis Hunter