The Best Cheesecake Recipe Ever (With 6 Tasty Variations)
This recipe article is meant to inspire. There are many many things you can do with a simply delicious New York-style cheesecake. These are just my family's favorites.
The recipe calls for a 9-inch pan. Personally I can never decide what kind of cheesecake I want, so I divide the recipe into three 6-inch pans. It's a little more work making separate crusts and making the alterations for each, but it's so worth it. I have also found the smaller cakes bake better. Plus "mini" cheesecakes are great for entertaining! The pictures are results of the 6-inch cakes. Enjoy!
Basic Cheesecake Recipe and 6 Variations
- Basic New York-Style Cheesecake (Base Recipe)
- Green Tea Cheesecake with Raspberry Sauce
- Pecan Delight Cheesecake
- Banana Cheesecake
- Triple-Chocolate Cheesecake
- Mint-Chocolate-Chip Cheesecake
- Triple-Berry Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, honey or chocolate
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 32 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
1. Plain New York-Style Cheesecake (Base Recipe)
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and melted butter.
- Press mixture onto the bottom and an inch up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan (or three 6-inch pans). Chill pan in freezer while preparing the filling.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese on med speed until fluffy. Add 1 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into chilled pan. Bake at 325˚F for 1 hour or until all but 1 to 2 inches of the center is set.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife between the side of the cake and the pan to prevent cracking as it cools. Let cool another 50 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
2. Green Tea Cheesecake With Raspberry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3 tablespoons green tea powder
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
Combine hot water and green tea powder until you have a paste. Add paste to filling in step 5 of the base recipe.
Sometime before serving, combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Continue cooking and stirring an additional 2 minutes. Let cool and apply to top of cake.
3. Pecan Delight Cheesecake
- One 12-ounce package of milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar caramel ice-cream topping
During step 2 of the basic recipe, before placing pan into the freezer, add a thin layer of chopped pecans and caramel.
Melt chocolate chips when cool enough to touch add at step 5.
Before serving top with remaining pecans and caramel.
4. Banana Cheesecake
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 to 3 bananas for slicing (your preferred ripeness)
- 1 teaspoon banana flavoring (optional)
- Lemon juice (optional)
Add mashed bananas and flavoring during step 5 of the basic recipe.
Before serving, slice bananas and arrange on top. If it will be sitting out for a while before serving, brush slices with a little lemon juice to prevent browning.
5. Triple-Chocolate Cheesecake
- One 12-ounce package dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- One 12-ounce package milk chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter or shortening
Melt dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips. When cool enough to touch, add during step 5 of the basic recipe. Next, add milk chocolate chips.
Before serving, melt white chocolate chips with butter or shortening. Put into a zip lock sandwich bag. Cut a small corner off and quickly let it drizzle over the top of the cheesecake.
6. Mint-Chocolate-Chip Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- One 12-ounce bag chocolate chips (mini chips preferred)
- Green food coloring (optional)
Add peppermint extract, chocolate chips and food coloring during step 5 of the basic recipe.
Tip: This particular cake is really good served frozen.
7. Triple-Berry Cheesecake
- 3 cups of fresh or frozen berries (blueberry, strawberry and raspberry are pictured)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
Sometime before serving, combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture boils. Cook and stir an additional 3 minutes. Pour mixture over top of cheesecake.
Which Cheesecake are most excited to make?
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Sasha Kim