Sasha likes sharing simple and delicious recipes that make life easier.
This recipe article is meant to inspire. There are many many things you can do with a simply delicious New York-style cheesecake. These are just my family's favorites.
The recipe calls for a 9-inch pan. Personally I can never decide what kind of cheesecake I want, so I divide the recipe into three 6-inch pans. It's a little more work making separate crusts and making the alterations for each, but it's so worth it. I have also found the smaller cakes bake better. Plus "mini" cheesecakes are great for entertaining! The pictures are results of the 6-inch cakes. Enjoy!
Basic Cheesecake Recipe and 6 Variations
- Basic New York-Style Cheesecake (Base Recipe)
- Green Tea Cheesecake with Raspberry Sauce
- Pecan Delight Cheesecake
- Banana Cheesecake
- Triple-Chocolate Cheesecake
- Mint-Chocolate-Chip Cheesecake
- Triple-Berry Cheesecake
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, honey or chocolate
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 32 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
1. Plain New York-Style Cheesecake (Base Recipe)
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and melted butter.
- Press mixture onto the bottom and an inch up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan (or three 6-inch pans). Chill pan in freezer while preparing the filling.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese on med speed until fluffy. Add 1 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into chilled pan. Bake at 325˚F for 1 hour or until all but 1 to 2 inches of the center is set.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife between the side of the cake and the pan to prevent cracking as it cools. Let cool another 50 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
2. Green Tea Cheesecake With Raspberry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3 tablespoons green tea powder
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
Combine hot water and green tea powder until you have a paste. Add paste to filling in step 5 of the base recipe.
Sometime before serving, combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Continue cooking and stirring an additional 2 minutes. Let cool and apply to top of cake.
3. Pecan Delight Cheesecake
- One 12-ounce package of milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar caramel ice-cream topping
During step 2 of the basic recipe, before placing pan into the freezer, add a thin layer of chopped pecans and caramel.
Melt chocolate chips when cool enough to touch add at step 5.
Before serving top with remaining pecans and caramel.
Read More From Delishably
4. Banana Cheesecake
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 to 3 bananas for slicing (your preferred ripeness)
- 1 teaspoon banana flavoring (optional)
- Lemon juice (optional)
Add mashed bananas and flavoring during step 5 of the basic recipe.
Before serving, slice bananas and arrange on top. If it will be sitting out for a while before serving, brush slices with a little lemon juice to prevent browning.
5. Triple-Chocolate Cheesecake
- One 12-ounce package dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- One 12-ounce package milk chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter or shortening
Melt dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips. When cool enough to touch, add during step 5 of the basic recipe. Next, add milk chocolate chips.
Before serving, melt white chocolate chips with butter or shortening. Put into a zip lock sandwich bag. Cut a small corner off and quickly let it drizzle over the top of the cheesecake.
6. Mint-Chocolate-Chip Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- One 12-ounce bag chocolate chips (mini chips preferred)
- Green food coloring (optional)
Add peppermint extract, chocolate chips and food coloring during step 5 of the basic recipe.
Tip: This particular cake is really good served frozen.
7. Triple-Berry Cheesecake
- 3 cups of fresh or frozen berries (blueberry, strawberry and raspberry are pictured)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
Sometime before serving, combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture boils. Cook and stir an additional 3 minutes. Pour mixture over top of cheesecake.
© 2012 Sasha Kim