I have started watching what goes into my food, so I've begun making my food from scratch.
This berry-lemony cake is a no-guilt treat that pairs well with a cup of hot tea. I enjoy having this after my lunch. It's so nice to have something to look forward to at the end of a meal!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup, or to taste
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (or up to 3/4 cup) assorted berries
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line a square baking dish with baking paper.
- Zest and juice the lemon in a bowl.
- Add the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and agave syrup. Beat all ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, chia seeds, rice flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. If the batter comes out too dry, add up to 4 tablespoons of water mixed with almond milk. Add this one tablespoon at a time, so as not to overdo the liquid.
- Gently mix in the berries.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
Berry Healthy Choice
- Berries: You may use dried or frozen berries. Just remember to thaw the berries if you are using frozen ones. I used raspberries, cranberries, blueberries, and strawberries for this recipe. I sliced the strawberries to create pieces that were more matched in size with the other berries.
- Flaxseed option: In addition to the chia seeds, I added two tablespoons of ground flaxseed. Remember to adjust your liquid to avoid a very dry batter.
- Oil substitution: Instead of coconut oil, you can use olive oil or even avocado. There will just be a slight difference in taste, though.
- Flour: Whenever I bake with almond flour, I add some rice flour, as well. This helps add a bit more "body" to the cake.
Health Benefits of Almond Flour
Nicky Hunt (author) from Manila, Philippines on February 02, 2021:
Thanks, Peggy! It’s easy to make too!
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on February 01, 2021:
This cake recipe sounds healthy and delicious. Pinning it! Thanks!