Almond Joy Pie
Slice of Almond Joy Pie
Can You Make an Almond Joy Pie?
"Can you make an Almond Joy pie?" This was the question that my son-in-law, Mike, asked. Of course, for him, I would try anything. I was sure if I just typed in "Almond Joy pie" in Google, I would find something—and I did. I found this recipe on lifeloveandsugar.com.
The pie was easy to make, and it didn't require baking. I did tweak two things in the recipe, which I will reveal to you, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have made a difference in the taste.
Once again, this pie is so easy to make, especially with a store-bought pie crust. Even if you think you can't bake, you can!
I'm also pretty sure you could type in the name of any candy bar and find a pie that would go with it. Give it a try, and see what you can come up with.
How I Changed the Recipe
The recipe actually tells how to make your own Oreo Cookie crust, but I chose to buy an already-made Oreo Cookie crust from the store, which saved a lot of time and money on the leftover cookies I would have had.
The original recipe also called for 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. I didn't want to buy coconut extract because I didn't think I would have much use it after making this pie—so I just used a whole teaspoon of vanilla extract, instead.
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (14-oz. can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- A handful almond slices
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Oreo Cookie crust, store-bought
- Whisk the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the milk together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add remaining milk, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, coconut and vanilla extract to a pan and whisk over medium heat until well combined and warm.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the coconut mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk. It will begin to thicken.
- Once boiling, stir constantly for about 2 minutes more or until fully thickened.
- Pour mixture into crust, then refrigerate, uncovered, until cooled and firm.
- Once pie is firm, drizzle with the chocolate sauce, then sprinkle additional coconut flakes and enough almond slices to cover the pie. Refrigerate and serve with whipped cream. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Rachel L Alba