Moist, Gluten-Free Almond and Orange Cake Recipe
This Recipe Is a Real Winner!
This orange and almond cake is no melt-in-the-mouth, fluffy, temperamental cake! This is a moist, satisfying cake with a deliciously fresh orange tang, but it's also light, fat-free, and gluten-free, so it's perfect for people with special dietary requirements.
It's a cake that I make at Les Trois Chenes, our bed and breakfast in Videix, Limousin, France. Because I love it, it's easy and reliable, but also we do occasionally have guests who can't eat gluten or who would like a low-fat meal and so this cake makes a perfect dessert for those occasions.
Thanks to my friend Sue for passing on this orange cake recipe (passed on to her by her friend Susi).
Orange and Almond Cake Ingredients
- 2 large oranges
- 9oz/250 g ground almonds
- 9oz/250 g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder*
Oven gas mark 5, 190°c 375°F
Don't you just love it when the list of ingredients is so short and simple?
How to Make Your Orange and Almond Cake
- Simmer the oranges in water for two hours.
- Drain and let them cool.
- Grease and line a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin.
- Whizz the oranges whole in a food processor. (I mashed mine with a potato masher and, although not completely smooth, I thought this worked well and saved time and washing up.)
- Whisk 6 eggs in a bowl and fold in the other ingredients.
- Pour into the tin and put into the oven at 190°c.
- Bake for about an hour. The cake is cooked when you put a skewer into the middle of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool before you take it out of the tin.
- Place on a cooling tray to cool.
- This moist cake needs no decoration, but you can serve it with creme fraiche, yoghurt, ice cream or any topping of your choice. One of our circle of friends whips her cream with grated orange zest and cointreau. Divine.
Did You Notice That This Is a Fat-Free Cake?
This orange cake recipe contains no oil, margarine or butter! Ideal if you're looking for a fat free cake recipe.