The Easiest Apple Dump Cake Dessert Recipe
How to Make Apple Dump Cake With Boxed Mix
Apple dump cake is a very easy and inexpensive dessert to make. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and only needs about 25 minutes to bake. This is perfect for last-minute desserts and can be topped off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream—YUM! The nice thing about the apple dump cake recipe is that you can easily create variations with this dessert recipe.
Apple dump cake is a great hostess gift for dinner parties and a perfect gift for your co-workers. Simply keep the pie filling and cake mix of your choice in the pantry and you'll be ready to whip up this easy recipe in a jiffy.
Rate this quick and easy recipe
Preparation and Bake Time for Apple Dump Cake
Preparation, Ingredients and Materials Needed
Pre-heat oven to 350˚F. (I use my toaster oven)
- 9 x 9 pan or Pyrex dish
- non-stick spray (I use the generic Wal-Mart brand 'Great Value' butter flavor)
- 2 (21-ounce) cans of pie filling (I use Lucky Leaf Premium, apple)
- 1 box cake mix (I use Duncan Hines Decadent Apple Caramel)
- 1 stick of butter
- Cinnamon sugar blend (I use McCormick)
- Powdered nutmeg (I use McCormick)
- Spoon for spreading
- Knife for slicing butter
- Pineapple upside-down cake mix over pineapple pie filling
- Blueberry muffin mix over blueberry pie filling
- Yellow cake mix over cherry pie filling
Grease the Pan
Spray a light even film of cooking spray onto your baking dish. Make sure to include the sides.
Add Your Pie Filling
Evenly spread out two cans of pie filling into your baking dish.
Lightly Dust the Pie Filling With Your Spices
- Sprinkle the top of the pie filling with cinnamon-sugar.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie filling with nutmeg.
Note: If you use a berry pie filling, you will want to skip the cinnamon and nutmeg. Cinnamon and nutmeg will complement apples and pears, but not berries.
Duncan Hines Decadent Cake Mixes
Duncan Hines has created a new series of cake mixes, these mixes feature an additional pouch created to enhance the flavor of standard cake mix.
I used the Apple Caramel mix for this recipe.
Add Your Cake Mix
- Evenly add the caramel apple topping over the apples. Take care in spreading the mix over all of the apples. Make sure to include the corners and edges.
- Evenly add the basic cake mix over the previous mix. Make sure to spread as evenly as possible. I only needed about half a bag. (Save the extra cake mix for a future recipe!)
Sprinkle Another Layer of Spices Over the Cake Mix
- Sprinkle a light layer of nutmeg over the cake mix.
- Next, sprinkle a light layer of cinnamon-sugar over the cake mix.
Put Butter Slices on Top and Bake
- Cut long and even slices of real butter and layer them over the mixture.
- Place your prepared 9 x 9 pan into an oven preheated to 350˚F.
- Check for doneness at 20 to 25 minutes.
- You want the topping to be a warm golden brown.
- Serve warm. Tastes great with vanilla ice-cream.
© 2011 Marisa Hammond Olivares