Apple Dump Cake: Dessert Recipe
Apple Dump Cake with Cake Mix
Rate this quick and easy recipe
Apple Dump Cake - Dessert Recipe
Baking an apple dump cake is a very easy and inexpensive dessert recipe. This dessert takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and only needs about 25 minutes to bake. This is perfect for last minute desserts and can be topped off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream - YUM! The nice thing about the apple dump cake recipe is that you can easily create variations with this dessert recipe.
- Simply keep the pie filling and cake mix of your choice in the pantry and you'll be ready to whip up this easy recipe in a jiffy.
- Apple dump cake is a great hostess gift for dinner parties.
- Make one for your co-workers.
Preparation and Bake Time for Apple Dump Cake
Gather your ingredients
Preparation, Ingredients and Materials Needed
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. (I use my toaster oven)
- 1 - 9 x 9 pan or Pyrex dish
- non-stick spray (I use the generic Wal-Mart brand 'Great Value' butter flavor)
- 2 - 21oz. cans of pie filling (I use Lucky Leaf Premium - apple)
- 1 box cake mix (I use Duncan Hines Decadent Apple Caramel)
- 1 stick of butter
- cinnamon sugar blend (I use McCormick)
- powdered nutmeg (I use McCormick)
- spoon for spreading
- knife for slicing butter
variation ideas -
Spray a 9 x 9 pan or glass dish with cooking spray
Grease the pan
Spray a light even film of cooking spray onto your baking dish. Make sure to include the sides.
Add two medium (21 oz.) sized cans of pie filling
Add your pie filling
Evenly spread out two cans of pie filling into your baking dish.
Evenly and lightly dust with cinnamon-sugar and nutmeg
Lightly dust the pie filling with your spices
- Sprinkle the top of the pie filling with cinnamon-sugar.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie filling with nutmeg.
note - if you use a berry pie filling you will want to skip the cinnamon and nutmeg. Cinnamon and nutmeg will complement apples and pears, but not berries
I used Duncan Hines Decadent Caramel Apple cake mix for my recipe
Duncan Hines Decadent Cake Mixes
Duncan Hines has created a new series of cake mixes, these mixes feature an additional pouch created to enhance the flavor of standard cake mix.
*I used Apple Caramel for this recipe.
Evenly sprinkle the cake mix and caramel apple mix over the apples
Add your cake mix
- Evenly add the caramel apple topping over the apples. Take care in spreading the mix over all of the apples. Make sure to include the corners and edges.
- Evenly add the basic cake mix over the previous mix. Make sure to spread as evenly as possible. I only needed about 1/2 a bag. (Save the remaining mix for another recipe)
I only needed about 1/2 of the bag
Suggestion: Save the extra cake mix for a future recipe.
Evenly sprinkle another layer of cinnamon-sugar and nutmeg over the cake mix
- Sprinkle a light layer of nutmeg over the cake mix.
- Next, sprinkle a light layer of cinnamon-sugar over the cake mix.
Cut long and even slices of real butter and layer them over the mixture
The nice thing about a 9 x 9 pan is they usually fit in a toaster oven. This saves time, space and energy.
- Place your prepared 9 x 9 pan into the oven.
- Check for doneness at 20 - 25 minutes.
- You want the topping to be a warm golden brown.
- Serve warm. Tastes great with vanilla ice-cream - enjoy!
© 2011 Marisa Hammond Olivares
More by this Author
100 matcha recipes! Recipes include everything from matcha eggnog, matcha cookies, matcha smoothies, matcha brownies to matcha martinis! Check out the recipes below! - Enjoy! MissOlive
This is a very easy dessert recipe for chocolate ice cream pie. Variation options available.
Fideo con carne y papas is a great family dish that tastes great and can feed 4-6 family members for under $10. Includes instructions and photo tutorial.