Green Apple Dessert Latkes
Rate this Recipe!
What Kind of Latkes Are Your Favorite?
How Do You Make Latkes with Apples?
The same way you make latkes with potatoes and other veggies. Potato latkes (potato pancakes) are one of my favorite things to make. You can make them with a store-bought boxed mix, with leftover mashed potatoes, or with shredded vegetables. I even made some Chanukkah latkes out of leftover stuffing and applesauce. The possibilities are almost endless. Some latkes are savory and others can be sweet. These apple latkes are on the sweet and tart side. If Granny Smith Apples are too tart for you, try this recipe using your favorite apples instead.
Apple Latke Recipe and Ingredients
Ingredients for Apple Latkes
- 3 Granny Smith Apples, shredded
- 6 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon White Sugar
- Oil for Frying
- Cool Whip, garnish
- Cinnamon Sugar, garnish
Freshly-Squeezed Lemon Juice
Freshly Squeezed Real Lemon Juice Versus The Other Stuff
Many times we use bottled lemon juice or lazy lemon because it lasts a lot longer than lemons do and therefore is easier to buy, keep, store and use. It's also full of chemicals and preservatives that help it last as long as it does. If possible, try to use the real stuff AKA a real lemon. It tastes better and is better for you in the long run.
If you only need a little lemon juice for a recipe, try to buy the smallest lemon you can. If you still have leftover juice, use it for cleaning. A lemon is the best way to get stubborn food stains off of a white cutting board. Have Tupperware with food stains and odors? Soak it in warm water and a little lemon juice. Don't throw away that unused lemon-- put it to work!
Grating Granny Apple
- Wash apples and slice in half. Remove and discard cores and seeds. Shred apples with grater.
- Combine shredded apples with flour, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, lemon juice and sugars. Toss until grated apples are well coated.
- In separate bowl beat eggs. Add to apple mixture and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Carefully drop dollops of mixture into oil and flatten tops with back of fork if necessary. Fry over medium high heat until golden and crispy. Flip and cook other side until golden and crispy. Use more oil as needed. Remove with spatula and rest briefly on paper towels.
- Transfer latkes to baking racks and keep warm in 350° F oven for up to 30 minutes and serve.
Shredded Apple Mixture
Tips for Making Great Apple Latkes
- Latke preparation usually calls for wringing excess water from the shredded potatoes. Apples aren't as watery when shredded and you can easily skip that step.
- Use your favorite kind of apple or even mix up the flavor notes by combining two or three different kinds of apples.
- Only cook a few latkes at a time to keep your oil at a constant temperature. This ensures even cooking from the first batch to the last.
- Drain latkes on paper towels only briefly. This helps absorb excess oil before transferring to a baking rack and placing in oven.
- Keep latkes in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes and then serve. This helps to keep them warm and crispy for your guests.
- Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container and reheat in oven before serving.
- These latkes can be made in advance. Fry, let cool, and refrigerate. Place in 350° oven for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream, yogurt, vanilla ice cream, cottage cheese, or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Apple Latkes Resting
These apple latkes taste great on their own but when served with ice cream they can really mimic warm apple pie a la mode! I love baking and cooking with apples-- especially granny smith apples. This recipe is perfect for fall and tastes warm and comforting when it's cold outside. I love to eat mine right out of the oven with a dollop of Cool Whip. How would you eat yours?
Easy Apple Desserts for Fall and Winter
© 2013 Heather Rode