Applesauce Raisin Cookie Recipe
These cookies are the perfect choice for a bedtime snack, with a morning cup of coffee or to put in a school lunchbox. In addition to being easy to make, they keep well.
I deviate from the recipe a little when making these. Instead of regular brown sugar, I use the Splenda brand and use half of the amount of sweetener called for.
For ease in making these cookies, I use store-bought applesauce. In my opinion, the best type is chunky with cinnamon. I add extra cinnamon to make them more flavorful.
You can adapt this recipe to reflect your family's taste. You can add dried cranberries instead of the raisins and replace the walnuts with pecans. The cookies have a soft cakelike texture which makes them popular with seniors who may have trouble eating hard or crispy cookies. In that case, you can omit the nuts altogether.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- ice cream topping syrup caramel, optional
Table Used for Converting Sugar Measurements to Splenda
If recipe calls for:
Use this amount of Splenda:
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of Splenda
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of Splenda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend eggs together.
- Add the rest of ingredients to the eggs, except the raisins, walnuts and caramel ice cream syrup.
- Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes).
- Add raisins and nuts if using. Blend in well with mixer.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove cookies from cookie sheet and place on a cooling rack.
- When completely cooled, place the rack on top of a piece of waxed paper. Spoon a little caramel ice cream syrup on top of each cookie, if desired. The waxed paper will prevent you from having a sticky countertop to clean as it can be thrown away.
Do you plan on trying this recipe for Applesauce Raisin Cookies?
Recommended Cooling Rack
Please Share Your Opinion of This Recipe
© 2018 Thelma Raker Coffone