Armpit Fudge Recipe
What Is Armpit Fudge?
Armpit fudge is a classic Girl Scout camping recipe that is mixed in a zippered plastic bag. It got its name because chilly campers sometimes put the bag under their arm to warm it up for better mixing. For the most part, the heat from your hands is enough to blend the ingredients to turn it into fudge. The recipe does not require any cooking.
This recipe uses American cheese singles, like Kraft singles or other brands. It works like magic to transform everything into fudge.
Kids love to make armpit fudge, though they may need help in the last few minutes of mixing to ensure that everything is well mixed. The recipe yields about 27 half-inch thick pieces of fudge, fewer if you make the it one inch thick.
If you're planning to make this on a camping trip, pre-measure the powdered sugar and cocoa into a zippered plastic bag. It saves on the mess and makes it easier to pack.
Rate Armpit Fudge
- 1/4 cup butter, (1/2 stick)
- 2 slices American cheese singles, (19 grams per slice) Do not substitute
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, good quality works best
You will also need:
- 2 gallon-sized zippered plastic bags
- Refrigerator or a cooler
- Mix-ins, such as mini chocolate chips, toffee bits, coconut flakes, birthday sprinkles.
Instructions for Making No-Cook Fudge
- Slice butter into small pieces. Put the pieces into one of the zippered plastic bags.
- Slice or tear the American cheese into small pieces, and add to the same bag as the butter.
- Push as much of the air as you can from the zippered bag and seal it. Then put the bag inside of the other zippered bag, just in case the first bag tears, remove excess air and seal the second bag.
- Squish the butter and American cheese in the bag until the two ingredients are well blended and you can't see pieces of cheese or butter anymore. If you have a buddy, take turns squishing the bag. This step takes about 5-10 minutes. The butter mixture should not be completely melted.
- Open both bags.
- Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder to the cheese and butter mixture.
- Reseal both bags, remembering to squeeze out as much air from the bags as you can.
- Squish the dry ingredients with the cheese and butter mixture until everything is well mixed and fudgy-looking in appearance. You should not be able to see any white or yellow color. This step takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the bag of fudge from the outside zipper bag. The fudge at this point will pull away from its bag and have the consistency of soft Play-doh. Add 2-3 tablespoons of mix-ins at this point if you want and squish well to distribute. Shape the fudge in the bag into a block about 1/2 inch thick, and 3"x9" in size.
- Lay the fudge bag flat in the refrigerator (or in a cooler) for about 30 minutes until firm enough to cut.
- Remove the fudge from the bag and slice into 1" pieces. Makes approximately 27 pieces.
Things to Do With Friends While Making Armpit Fudge
If you're making armpit fudge with your friends, take turns squishing the bag. To make it interesting, try the following:
- Play hot potato.
- Sing, dance and squish to the beat.
- Squish only with your knuckles.
Even though it's called "armpit fudge," it isn't recommended to actually squish the fudge in your armpit.