I like to share creative ideas for moms, DIY, family fun, crafts, travel, recipes, party planning, shopping, discounts, gifts, and more.
Rice Krispie Treats were invented in 1939 by Malitta Jensen and Mildred Day at the Kellogg Company home-economics department. The recipe first appeared on the cereal's packaging in 1941. These sweet treats are so easy to make—all you need is butter, marshmallows, and cereal, and in about 20 minutes, they are ready to eat.
Our recipe for the best Rice Krispie treats is a little different from the box recipe, but it's even more gooey and delicious. It uses a little more butter and more marshmallows than the original recipe. In my humble opinion that's what makes this the best Rice Krispie Treats recipe ever.
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 bags mini marshmallows, 10oz each
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Measure 10 cups of rice cereal into a bowl and set aside.
- Measure 2 cups of marshmallows and set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- Spray a very large MICROWAVE SAFE bowl and a spatula with cooking spray.
- Add the stick of butter to bowl. Place bowl in microwave and cook till butter is melted, start with 30 seconds and check, add another 30 seconds and check, keep doing so until butter is melted.
- Add vanilla and salt to bowl, stir.
- Add marshmallows (all except the 2 cups you set aside.) Microwave for 60 seconds. Stir with spatula. Keep microwaving and stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted.
- Once mixture is smooth add the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and stir well, don’t microwave any more. The added 2 cups of marshmallows will mostly melt and the little lumps that are left are going to add little pockets of marshmallow goodness to the treats. Immediately pour the cereal into the marshmallow mixture bowl and gently stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking pan using the spatula sprayed with cooking spray. You can use another 13x9 pan placed on top to press mixture down nice and evenly.
- Allow the Rice Krispie treats cool to room temperature uncovered. Cut treats into 24 squares. Enjoy! Store in an air-tight container.
© 2017 MomsTreasureChest
Heidi Thorne from Chicago Area on November 10, 2017:
I LOVE Rice Krispies treats! Always have, always will. Thanks for the reminder. I should make some for the holidays.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on November 10, 2017:
That sounds really easy to make. Sounds lovely. I love Rice Krispies!