Best Rum Fruit Cake Recipe Ever
The Perfect Christmas Holiday Dessert
Simply The Best Dessert Cakes Recipe Ever
What is the best rum fruit cake recipe ever? I believe I have that fruit cake recipe perfected for you to make for more Christmas holiday cheer. The recipe is for moist fruit cakes that are flavorful and colorful fruit desserts, that pack a little punch from the rum alcohol ingredient.
I bake up a batch of fruit cakes to decorate green fruit cake deserts for St. Patrick's Day and St. Urho's Day holidays. Fruit cakes are awesome to have on hand for birthdays and other special occasions. People even use fruit cakes for wedding cakes and they are a lovely treat for a wedding anniversary.
I have some very colorful and fancy fruit cakes photos to see below.
Fruit cakes are not just for Christmas. They are special treats for any day.
Ingredients and Instructions
Prep and Cook Time
- Prep time will vary depending on how long you decide to soak the fruit in rum.
- Cook time will vary depending on the size of baking pans you use.
Fruit Cake Ingredients
- 16 Oz Pitted dates
- 32 Oz Candied red whole cherries
- 24 Oz Candied green whole cherries
- 24 Oz Candied pineapple
- 16 Oz Pecans, Optional nuts you choose
- 3 Cups Apple sauce
- 1 Cup Coconut oil, Or, 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 Cups White sugar, Or, raw sugar
- 4 1/2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Teaspoons Baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 3/4 Cups Coconut rum, To taste
- 1 1/2 Cups Brandy, To taste
A Note About Sugar, Eggs, and Fruit
- Sugar: The sugar ingredient for the rum fruit cakes can be your personal choice: white sugar (refined) vs raw sugar (unrefined). I prefer to use raw sugar in my original recipes because it is a healthier choice than white sugar. I have used both, and these cakes turned out tasting yummy good with either sugar ingredient.
- Eggs: This recipe contains no eggs, and if you use coconut oil rather than butter, you will have a delicious recipe that is healthier.
- Fruit: Remember to reserve fruit and nuts for the toppings or just use extra ingredients of your choosing and personal taste. Knowing what loved ones think is your best fruit cake recipe ever is important when it comes to celebrating the Christmas holidays.
Fruit Cake Instructions
- Soak the fruit (the dates, cherries [red and green], and pineapple) in 2 cups of coconut rum for 24-48 hours or more covered, stirring occasionally. I eat an ounce or two during the soaking to see if it is done! I generally add lots of fruits to the recipe, because it looks so yummy and tastes delicious.
- Combine: 3 cups boiling applesauce, 1 cup coconut oil (or 1 cup butter optional), and 1 ½ cup sugar (or use raw cane sugar).
- Pour applesauce over sugar & butter (or coconut oil, whichever you used). Blend together well.
- Add 4 ½ cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 4 teaspoons baking soda, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 2 teaspoons vanilla to your applesauce/butter mixture.
- Toss in the fruit and (reserve cherries and about 50 pecans for toppings).
- Fill 10 small, buttered loaf pans. Use parchment paper liners in the bottoms for easy removal.
- Top with one cherry in the center and five pecans for flower petals (optional). Or cover cakes with fruit. Cut them in half and place them cut side down to make the fruit stretch further.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Do the toothpick poke, and if it comes out clean, they are done. Miniature loaves will take less time than larger loafs.
- (Optional) Cool loaves in the pans, then drizzle 2-3 tbsp coconut rum on tops, cover, and allow to rest several hours or overnight until the loaves absorb the rum. Repeat up to 1-4 times over a week's time.
- (Optional) Remove cakes from pans. Wrap each loaf with brandy soaked cheesecloth (then, tightly wrap with plastic cling wrap and then in aluminum foil). You can use more coconut rum for the cheesecloth.
- (Optional) Wrap (or use brandy). Wait 2 weeks or longer for the cakes to mellow. The fruit cakes taste better with age when the tannins are released from the fruits.
Decorative Fruit Cake Desserts
White vs Raw Sugar
Which sugar ingredient do you prefer?
Getting Fancy With Rum Fruit Cakes
Best Rum Fruit Cake Recipe Of The Year
I made a candied cherries puree with a Smart Stick Blender. I put the puree in a bundt pan first for a fancy topping for the Best Rum Fruit Cake Recipe of the year. The end result was this stunningly beautiful fancy fruit cake for Mom's Christmas gift.
Admiral Nelson's Cherry Spiced Rum and Rondiaz Coconut Rum
For my last batches of rum fruit cakes, I used some Admiral Nelson's Cherry Spiced Rum and some Rondiaz Coconut Rum for the rum ingredients in the recipe. The candied cherries and other fruits are delicious soaking in the spiced cherry rum.
You can use the rum you have on hand, or purchase the brand of rum that you want to use. You might want to experiment from year to year to find the rum you love best in the recipe.
Do not be afraid to experiment because the options are many with rum and brandy.
Helpful Cooking Utensils
Mini Baking Pans
I like using the mini loaf pans for creating small desserts that I can give as gifts to family and friends for the Christmas holidays. They are lovely treats to give as any special occasion gift as well, and I have done that very thing. The fruit cakes are always received as yummy delights by people who have tasted their pleasures in years before. These pans for great for baking other cakes and breads too. They get used in my kitchen for many different recipes.
Candied Red Cherries Hearts Dessert Cakes For Valentines Day
Heart Shaped Mini Muffin Pans
Also, I bake up a few batches of fruit cakes and decorate red heart shaped fruit cakes for Valentines Day that I bake in heart shaped mini muffin pans. They are nice to wrap and hand out to friends and family as treats.
If you haven't used silicone baking pans before, I want to let you know that you will need to use a little more caution when handling the pans from a hot oven. Because, the pan are flexible, unlike regular metal baking pans are. So, use both hands when removing the pans from the oven for sure, and take a little more care when placing the pans in an oven.
I like these flexible heart shaped pans because my fruit cakes slip right out of them with ease, and they are so very easy to clean. Nothing sticks to them!
Colorful porcelain Ramekin sets make prefect individual serving sized at home for you and your guests. You can see the set of three used in the photo above.
Best Plans For The Holidays?
Do you plan to try my Rum Fruit Recipe?
Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe With Rum
Paradise Cherry Pineapple Mix
I generally make two batches of my delicious Rum Fruit Cake and have found the Paradise Cherry Pineapple Mix 10 Pound Tub to be perfect for my needs. It contains both whole red and green cherries and wedged pineapple in three colors, natural, pink, and green.
I start with half a tub, or five pounds and get that fruit soaking in my rum for a day or three. Then a week or so later, after the first batch of Rum Fruit Cake is done and wrapped, I start the other five pounds to soak in rum.
There was a sweet elderly lady who shared her secret fruit cake recipe. I was not a fruit cake fan but when I tasted her recipe, I became an instant fan. Over the years adjustments in ingredients have been made to my personal liking. I hope that you will enjoy the recipe and put some smiles on your loved ones faces. It is simply MARVELOUS!
© 2015 Susie Lehto