How to Make Brazilian Milk Cake: Bolo de Leite
Baking the Brazilian Way
A few years ago I came across a variation of this recipe on a Brazilian site. I tried it and immediately loved it.
The original recipe uses five simple ingredients, but you can always add some extras to taste.
Here is the original recipe, for those interested. The add-ons I've experimented with are listed as optional ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- Chocolate chips: I personally think the cake tastes better without them, but some people said they enjoyed having a hint of chocolate in the cake.
- Cinnamon: I love the smell, so I add cinnamon to literally every recipe, but it's not part of the original ingredients list.
- Coconut: add as much as you want! The only issue with adding too much is that the cake will taste more like coconut cake and less like milk cake.
- Nuts I sprinkled some almond bits on top before putting it in the oven. Tastes alright, but I prefer the coconut.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Add all the mandatory ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Add optional ingredients, if desired. Mix with a spoon.
- Grease pan, pour mixture into the pan. Sprinkle some optional ingredients on top, if you want.
- Bake for around 1 hour. Just like with the coconut cake, using a toothpick won't help you in deciding whether it's done or not. Let it cool before enjoying
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Janisa