Fun and Easy Cake Ideas & Directions for an Ocean-Themed Party
Cake Decorating Ideas for an Ocean-Themed Party
Cool Cake Ideas for an Ocean Themed Party
Since my youngest son requested an ocean-themed party for his birthday, I got the chance to create a fun fish-shaped cake and under-the-sea cupcakes. Both of these ideas were super easy to make and would make a big splash at any party. Whether you are celebrating a birthday, hosting a pool party, or any other ocean-inspired event, try out these desserts will make a great addition!
Below, you will find out the directions for making these tasty treats. So grab a couple of cake mixes, the baking pans, and get ready to make these delicious delights.
How to Make a Fish Shaped Cake
If you are thinking you need a special cake pan to make a fish shaped cake, you better think again. I rarely ever buy the special cake molds. I always find that I use them once and then they tend to collect dust in my cabinet. But if you feel you need one, I have highlighted some different pan options to the right.
To recreate our fish shaped cake, all you need to do is bake a cake in a standard 13x9 baking pan and follow these super easy directions below.
- One box of cake mix and the ingredients that it calls for
- Mix and bake cake mix according to the instructions on the package in a 13x9 baking pan.
- Once completely cooled, carefully remove from baking pan onto a serving platter or piece of cardboard covered with wax paper.
- Using a knife, cut off the four corners of the cake. To help you decide how much to cut, make a 9 inch diameter circle out of paper and set on top of cake.
- Once the corners are cut, you will see the body of the fish. Decide which part is going to be the head and which part is going to be the tail.
- Arrange one of the corners on the top to act as a fin, another one on the bottom of the cake for the second fin, and a third one to be the tail. Keep in mind that fishes come in all shapes and sizes so play around with the shape of your fish if you desire to use all four corners on your cake.
- To attach the fins and tail to your fish shaped cake, add a layer of icing between the detached pieces and the body of the cake. Finish icing the rest of the cake. For our colorful fish, we used blue icing for the body, green for the head, and yellow for the fins and tail.
- For additional decoration, we used a Whopper (chocolate covered malted milk ball) for the eye of the fish, wrote happy birthday on the body, and added some bubbles made from icing above the head. Other great ideas for candy accents are to use M&M's for the scales of the fish or a piece of red licorice for the mouth.
Fish Shaped CakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Another Easy Way to Decorate a Fish Shaped Cake
How to Make Under-the-Sea Cupcakes
If you prefer cupcakes for your ocean-themed party, try these cute under-the-sea cupcakes. I used a chocolate cake mix to have another flavor of cake for the birthday party, but feel free to choose any kind of cake mix for your own batch. Here is a list of supplies you will need and directions to creating these ocean inspired cupcakes.
- Blue food coloring
- Icing decorator tool or plastic bag
- Sea life water squirters
- one box of cake mix and whatever ingredients the box calls for
- Bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the package. Let cupcakes completely cool before adding icing.
- Make a batch of buttercream icing and add blue food coloring. I used Wilton royal blue icing color to achieve the color of blue you see in the pictures. You can use regular food coloring but the color may not look as vibrant.
- Using my decorating tool, I used a star shaped tip and swirled the blue icing around the cupcake to give the appearance of ocean waves.
- The final step is to gently press down the sea life water squirters on top of the blue icing. These particular sea life water squirters came six to a pack at the Dollar Tree, but I have also seen them available at Walmart and other such stores.