How to Make Carnival-Style Funnel Cakes at Home
FUNNEL CAKE!! OM NOM NOM!
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 6 min
Ready in: 16 min
Yields: 4 or 5 Very Large FUNnel Cakes
- 1 egg, raw
- 2/3 Cup Milk, 2% or Higher
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cup Flour, all-purpose or cake flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt, or Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Powdered Sugar, (confectioner's sugar)
- In a skillet (kind of deep, but not sauce pan deep), heat about 2 cups of cooking oil (type is not important; canola or vegetable works fine) on medium-high heat until hot. A good test is to drop a pinch of flour in. If it sizzles without smoke the oil is ready.
- Gently beat egg and milk. Mix remaining ingredients in separate bowl, slowly adding the egg mixture. Beat until smooth. Use a mixer if you must, but by hand is so much more fun.
- Using a funnel (or a gallon-size ziploc bag with a corner cut off), drop mixture into hot oil in a spiral starting at the center, working your way out. Make sure to overlap some of the mix to ensure it comes out as one piece.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes, flipping one time when the bottom has become golden brown.
- Remove from oil. I like to use a metal slotted spoon to reduce the amount of oil. Place on plate, and sprinkle with powder sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!
Carmel and chocolate sauces (syrup) make good toppings.
If you are worried about nutrition do not make this recipe!
|Serving size: 1 Cake |
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change
depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been
professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|