A long time autograph dealer/writer, Anderson's autograph articles have been published in The Saturday Evening Post & many other magazines.
Dinah's Favorite Chocolate Cake
This should be an easy chocolate cake to make. Although the typed recipe doesn't say this, if you're in a hurry or want to cut down on the preparation time, you can use store-bought frosting, but that might take the fun out of this recipe for some of you.
The following chocolate cake is presented exactly the way Dinah Shore would have prepared it. I suspect this may well have been a favorite dessert of boyfriend Burt Reyonds and Dinah's ex-husband, movie cowboy George Montgomery.
In any event, get ready to have some fun—Dinah's in the kitchen!
Who Is Dinah Shore?
Dinah Shore was a popular singer, actress, and TV hostess. Born in Tennessee in 1916, she pursued a career as a singer before hosting several different TV talk shows in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.
TV Guide ranks her as the 16th most popular TV personality of all time. She was married and divorced twice, one of her husbands was movie cowboy George Montgomery.
In the 1970s, she had a much-publicized relationship with actor Burt Reynolds, one of the top male sex symbols of the era.
She passed away in 1994 shortly after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
Ingredients for Cake and Frosting
- 8 squares baker's chocolate
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 7 tablespoons milk
Instructions for the Cake
- Melt 4 squares of the Baker's chocolate in a pyrex dish.
- Melt 1/4 lb. butter in a cup of water, bring to a boil.
- Sift and blend 2 cups sugar and 2 cups flour.
- Mix melted chocolate and butter, add to flour and sugar, and blend well.
- Add 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 2 well-beaten eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Pour entire mixture into well-buttered loaf pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Instructions for the Frosting
- Melt 4 squares of Baker's chocolate, add 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Sift 3 cups confectioners sugar and mix with 7 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix chocolate and powdered sugar, and frost cake while warm.
How I Acquired Dinah Shore's Chocolate Cake Recipe
I've been an autograph dealer and collector for over 40 years. During the past four decades, I occasionally purchased recipes that celebrities were kind enough to send to a fan who requested one. In several cases I was able to purchase recipes that had been collected for the purpose of publishing in a planned cookbook.
This original simple chocolate cake recipe was Dinah Shore's favorite, and she was kind enough to share it with one of her fans in a typed letter from 1956. At the time she was still married to actor George Montgomery.
And now, I'm sharing it with you, and I hope you like it enough to add it to your list of best chocolate cake recipes!
© 2018 Tim Anderson