Cooking with Jello: How to Make Cherry Lemon Lime Summertime Slushies
Cherry Lemon Lime Slush Recipe
My girl, Jell-o
I love Jell-o. Who doesn't? There's always room for it! Since I'm American and Jell-o is "America's Favorite dessert," she certainly holds a special place in my heart. She's older than you think, but you'd never know it. She keeps young and fashionable each time a new flavor is introduced. I enjoy eating Jell-o in its traditional manner or using it as a secret ingredient in an old favorite. Jell-o has been there for me many times when I was sick and has helped me pull off some quite lovely desserts. It's summertime and it's hot, so let's have some of the coldest Jell-o you never knew existed. Get ready to say, "You can do that with Jell-o?!"
- 1 pkg Jell-o*, (4 serving size)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups 7-up soda
Picking the Right Products
*I used cherry lemonade Jell-o. This is a limited edition Madagascar 3 flavor. The movie title and characters appear on the packaging. This was the first time I ever used or tasted this flavor and it's great!
You should pick some up before it's all gone. If you're unable to find this flavor in your area, you have a few options:
- Use a cherry-flavored jell-o mix with the 7-up
- Substitute the soda for a lemon-flavored soda instead (like Minute Maid lemonade soda)
- Choose a lemon gelatin and a cherry soda pop (like Shasta or Jones Soda)
Honestly, the sky is the limit. Pair your favorite Jell-o flavor with 7-up, ginger ale, or any soda of your choosing. I went to the grocery store planning to pair a cherry or black cherry Jell-o with cola, but when I saw the new cherry lemonade Jell-o, I was excited and inspired to go in a completely different direction. Both ideas were great and my final product was deliciously summer-tastic!
Frozen Dessert Recipes for Summer
- In a container that can tolerate both your freezer and boiling water, combine gelatin powder and boiling water. Stir with fork until Jell-o powder is dissolved.
- Add the soda and gently mix.
- Place in freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, use an ice cream scoop to fill serving dishes or disposable paper cups. Serve immediately.
Did you know Jell-o...
- has been around since 1845!
- chocolate gelatin (not pudding) was discontinued in 1927!
- once came in celery, Italian, and tomato flavors and have since been discontinued!
- green Jell-o is the "official state snack" of Utah!
Tips for Delicious Success
- This dessert has a texture somewhere in between Italian ice and a snow cone. It's deliciously cold, but not rock-hard like an ice cube. The process is fool-proof with delicious results every time.
- This is a great alternative to making home-made Popsicles if you don't have molds. If you do have molds, this is a recipe that you could use.
- Use this recipe and method instead of buying one of those at-home snow cone machines. Sure, they're cute, but it's another appliance to take up room and collect dust (and the machine is usually sold as a standalone item without flavors or cups etc).
- You (and or your kids) get to pair two of your favorite flavors together, creating a unique flavor just waiting to be named and devoured!
- This recipe will yield a delicious treat for far less than the cost of a snow cone machine-- in fact it will probably cost you less than a cold treat from the neighborhood ice cream truck.
Dessert Recipes for Kids
This recipe is just begging to be made. It's so satisfying on a hot summer day (or night) but what's even more satisfying is the process! It's fun, easy, and fast-- three of my favorite elements to making or baking anything! Forget about the whopping 4 or 5 slushie flavors at the corner store. You can pick from an entire rainbow of colors and flavors resulting in hundreds of different delicious flavors. Pairing the perfect flavors is such fun and before you know it, your delicious liquid concoction is a frozen treat! Make this recipe your own and even name your creations. Enjoy!
More Jell-o Recipes from Heather's Kitchen
- No-Bake Double Berry Cake Squares
An easy no-bake dessert recipe that only takes 15 minutes but looks like a million bucks. Made with blueberries and raspberries, this is a great way to turn a child or picky eater onto eating berries.
- Pink Strawberry Popcorn Balls
Make colorful and delicious popcorn for under $5. This is a snack that everyone will have fun making and eating. Includes pictures and video.
- Strawberry Jell-o Cake with Fresh Strawberries
Jell-o + Cake = Jell-o Cake. It's as easy as it sounds. This is a great way to turn a boxed cake mix into something spectacular. It only adds a few minutes on to the prep time that you would normally spend baking and frosting a cake from a mix.
More by this Author
Quick and easy recipe for lemon spritz cookies using Jell-o instant pudding. This new spin on a holiday favorite is an instant hit.
Quick and easy recipe for turning a store-bought cake mix into delicious Pizzelle cookie batter. Perfect for Christmas and Valentine's Day celebrations.
Italian cooking doesn't have to be complicated or take all day. Made from basic ingredients and basic spices, this easy meatball recipe is full of flavor and compliments pasta dishes. Yummy!