Ryan Thomas is a university student who enjoys cooking recipes from a wide variety of culinary traditions.
How to Make Homemade Madeleines
Recently, I've been making many desserts with what has become my favored flavor trio: chocolate, coffee, and orange. Cakes, cream, creme brûlées, ice cream, biscotti—the list goes on and on. But I wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the fact that it is an intoxicating flavor profile, one that is rich, complex, deep, and sweet.
In cookie form, this flavor combination is just as good as in any other dessert, and French madeleine cookies are an excellent choice. Madeleines are so soft, addicting, and pretty that it would be a shame not to try applying these glorious flavors to them. The end result was delicious, especially when paired with tea.
This recipe is entirely my own.
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zest and juice of
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- powdered sugar, for decoration
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat for 10 minutes, until it turns brown. This brings out the nice nutty flavors in the butter. Pour the melted butter into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Once combined, add in the flour, orange zest, orange juice, coffee, and cocoa powder. Mix together.
- Fold the melted butter into the batter.
- Using non-stick spray or butter, grease madeleine baking trays, with 24 individual slots.
- Pour the batter into the baking trays. Bake at 375˚F for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove from the molds. Sift powdered sugar on top for garnish.
© 2019 Ryan Thomas
Ryan Thomas (author) from Eureka, California on September 16, 2019:
For me I was really surprised to find them in a local cooking store, being in the sticks I didn't really imagine that I would find them.
Liz Westwood from UK on September 16, 2019:
These sound great. I haven't seen Madeleine baking moulds around. I will have to search them out.