Recipe Box Discovery
This chocolate mayonnaise cake recipe came from my mother's old recipe box where she kept tried and true recipes. Some of the handwritten recipes note from whom she acquired the recipe. This particular one does not mention a name, but since it is in her handwriting, I can only assume that this cake pleased her.
My husband and I decided to start trying some of the recipes from both of our mothers. They each had similar recipe boxes. It will be a nostalgic look into the past, and when we like the recipes, I'll happily share them with readers who happen to find the articles.
This cake is easy to make and is very moist, undoubtedly due to the mayonnaise.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
9 generous slices
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and sugar twice. Use two bowls to accomplish this.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, water, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and combine until well mixed.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.
— Dave Barry
© 2020 Peggy Woods