Easy Homemade Amish Caramel Corn Recipe
Caramel Corn Recipe
Another of my super easy Christmas candy ideas that you can make ahead, store in airtight containers and then incorporate as part of a gift basket or a stand-alone gift in decorative tins or pretty bags!
- 6-7 quarts (24-28 cups) of freshly popped PLAIN popcorn (I use an air popper)
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt if desired
- 1 cup margarine or butter (2 cubes)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place the popcorn in 2 shallow greased baking pans, jelly roll pans, disposable roasting pans, or even a large roasting pan.
- Add the peanuts to the popped corn. Set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter or margarine, cream of tartar if used and salt in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring enough to blend.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the baking soda and vanilla - you can beat rather vigorously. The mixture will become light and foamy.
- Immediately pour over the popcorn in the pan(s) and stir to coat. (Don't worry at this point too much about getting ALL the corn and nuts coated)
- Bake for 1 hour REMOVING THE PANS AND GIVING THEM A GOOD STIR EVERY 15 MINUTES.
- Line a counter top with waxed paper. Dump the corn out onto the waxed paper and separate the pieces.
- Allow to cool completely and then store in airtight containers or resealable bags.
Amaretto Caramel Corn
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup unblanched whole almonds
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
- 1/2 cup Amaretto
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Arrange popcorn on 2 jelly roll pans; sprinkle almonds over popcorn.
- In small saucepan, melt margarine over low heat; stir in the brown sugar and Amaretto.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour over popcorn; toss until thoroughly coated.
- Bake at 200 F for 1 hour; spread on foil or wax paper to cool. Store in loosely covered container.
Chocolate Caramel Corn
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- 1-1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups light corn syrup, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees (120 degrees C).
- Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Place the popcorn in the roasting pan and keep warm in the oven.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar, 1 cup butter and 1/2 cup corn syrup. Heat, without stirring, to 250 to 265 degrees F or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a rigid ball. (Suggest using a candy thermometer)
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour syrup over popcorn and stir to coat. Return popcorn to oven.
- In the same saucepan, combine chocolate chips with remaining 1/2 cup butter and 2 cups corn syrup.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat, until chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and quickly pour over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Return popcorn to oven for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and pour out onto waxed paper lined sheets to cool completely.
More Caramel Corn Recipes
- Chocolate Caramel Corn - All Recipes
Popcorn is treated to a double coating of crunchy caramel and milk chocolate in this oven baked treat.
Still More Ideas
- More Favorite Holiday Recipes - Candy and Breads
Here are four delicious traditional Festival and Feast Day recipes that you may not know yet...
- Delicious Holiday Candy From Route 29 Napa
My sweet tooth is my downfall, and I fight it for most of the year. However, during the holidays, I focus more on keeping it under control than actually on fighting it. I'm picky about the candy I eat,...