Janisa is a language enthusiast with a passion for food and traveling. She spends her time learning languages, planning travels and cooking.
I just love sweetened condensed milk, whether it is just on its own or in a recipe. So when a Brazilian friend told me about brigadeiros and that they're quick and easy to make, I just had to try them! I also liked how they're so straightforward to make that it's impossible to fail, only I did fail on my first attempt, but that's another story!
Cook Time (Not Including Chilling Time)
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
serves 6+ people
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 400 g (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- coconut flakes, for dipping
My First Mistake
- Heat up a frying pan on low to medium heat. Add everything except for the coconut flakes.
- Stir constantly. The mixture will boil slightly and begin to thicken. The mixture should become thick enough for you to be able to take parts with your hands to form spheres. If it's much more liquidy than that, keep stirring and don't reduce the heat.
- Once your brigadeiro mixture has reached the desired consistency, you can remove it from the frying pan and place it into a bowl.
- Optional: chill in the fridge for 30+ minutes, for the mixture to become thicker and easier to work with.
- Take a piece of the 'dough,' around 1–2 tbsp in size, but you can always make them whatever size you want. Roll into a ball, roll in the coconut flakes and place onto a ball. Repeat until you've used up the entire mixture.
- Keep in the fridge. Optionally, you can keep the brigadeiros in the freezer; this makes them almost like mini ice cream balls!
Made it? Share your opinion!
© 2018 Janisa
Janisa (author) from Earth on June 29, 2020:
Thanks for the comment!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe!
asereht1970 from Philippines on January 31, 2020:
Wow! That looks so delicious. I will try making these at home and see if the kids will love it. Thanks for sharing.
irescafe on March 22, 2018:
How Can I Learn brazillian dessert when