Cranberry Dessert with Whipped Cream and Crackers
This delightful concoction is a dessert that my cousin used to make every time we got together for a holiday or special occasion. It was always the first dish that everyone reached for, and it was always the first dish finished. We rarely waited until dessert, it just became one of our side dishes, and it never had a formal name, we just called it our cousin's cranberry thing.
I have seen desserts like this called "Yifta" or "Gifta", but we really have no idea where this recipe originated. We only know that she picked it up many many years ago in the midwest.
Cranberry dessert with whipped cream and crackers is one of those incredibly delicious dishes that is so easy to make, you'll be asking yourself why you never thought to make it. With it's colorful layers, it makes a beautiful presentation on any holiday table or buffet.
Once you try this dessert, it will become a favorite at your table too.
What do you think about this unique dessert?
- 1 lb fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 - 2 sleeves soda crackers, coarsely crushed
Step by step photo instructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Bring water, cranberries and 2 cups of sugar to a boil and stir. Let boil for approximately 10 minutes, until cranberries have popped. Set aside to cool completely. 2 - 3 cans of whole cranberry sauce can be substituted.
- Beat the whipping cream until firm peaks are formed. Add sugar and vanilla to taste. A general rule of thumb is 1 - 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 - 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Crush the soda crackers and set aside.
- Once the cranberries have cooled completely, assemble the ingredients. This is best assembled in a trifle bowl or other clear glass dish. Layer cranberries, crackers and whipped cream. Repeat until top of dish is reached, ending with the whipped cream on top.
- Refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight. This dish gets better if it sits longer, but because of the fresh whipped cream, it does not last for more than 2 - 3 days.
How to make whipped cream
Don't be tempted to substitute whipped topping for real whipped cream. Fresh whipped cream only takes a few minutes to make and it tastes so much better. Follow the step by step photo guide below to make perfect whipped cream every time.
For your next holiday dessert...
Your dinner is sure to be a success when you serve Cranberry Dessert with Whipped Cream and Crackers. It's easy, unique and delicious!
© 2012 Glimmer Twin Fan
More by this Author
Enjoy this delicious Peanut Butter Pound Cake with or without frosting. Recipes and step by step instructions with photos are included.
This is a recipe for a traditional German Apple Cake. It is simple to make and delicious! Easy to follow instructions and photos are provided.
These easy recipes require only a box of cake mix, and a mix-in. That's it, 2 ingredients that you probably have on hand. You'll find 20 enticing combinations with instructions and photos.