Creamy Chocolate Banana Cream Pie Recipe
Delicious, beautiful, huge, stately, elegant, creamy, luscious, there are many words which can be used to describe this exceptional chocolate-banana creampie. Composed of a rich and buttery crust, filled with a creamy and rich chocolate cream, layered with sweet and succulent banana slices, and with mountains of heavenly and light whipped cream on top, it is a superb and splendid dessert, one which is certain to be a great hit among anyone who is willing to brave the doubtless shocking calorie count to eat it. When I had brought it to a potluck in a class of mine, it was almost all consumed throughout the day, this despite the strange reticence of college students to take free food - a phenomenon which I have otherwise been hard pressed to explain. The huge size of it means that it is capable of lasting a more regular sized grouping for a great length of time, although the temptations which are inherent to man's nature will doubtless plunge oneself into a feast of gluttony before such a tempting treat, and before one knows it, all of it will be gone. In those moments of the devouring obliteration of the pie though, one can be guaranteed to know true happiness and bliss. Although this pie can take some time to make, it is well worth it as a result.
This recipe has been adapted from The Best of Gourmet written by the editors of Gourmet in 1999.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) + 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons + 1/2 cup + 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup + 1 cup + 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups milk
- 3 large bananas
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- chocolate shavings, (optional_
- Firstly, prepare the crust. Cream the butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, with the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, until it forms a coarse meal with lumps, either in a food processor or bowl with electric mixer. Then add in 6 tablespoons of cream, and blend until it forms a smooth dough. Shape into a ball, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Either utilize a rolling pin to shape the dough out into a sphere and then onto a 10-inch pie plate, or place it in with one's hands. Once the dough is on the pie tin, refrigerate it for 30 minutes more, loosely covered, then preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick the pie shell all over with a fork to allow air to escape, then place the pie shell into the oven for 6 minutes uncovered. Proceed to add on tin foil on top to protect from getting burned and cook 15 minutes longer, then sortie from the oven the pie shell and allow to cool.
- To make the filling, finely chop the chocolate and and the 1/2 stick of butter and combine in a large saucepan with the 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1 cup sugar, until it is thick and pale, and then add in the 1/4 teaspoon salt. Whisk the cornstarch in slowly, producing a very thick mixture.
- In another large heavy saucepan, bring 4 cups of milk and 1/2 cup of heavy cream to a a gentle boil, then remove pan from heat. Add 1 cup of this into the egg and cornstarch mixture, whisk together, and then add this combination back into the milk. Bring the resultant pastry cream back to a boil, whisking constantly so as to prevent scorching, waiting until it thickens appreciably.
- Pour the pastry cream into the chocolate and butter, and whisk it together until it is combined. Allow to cool, covered with plastic wrap, to room temperature.
- Peel bananas, cut into 1/4 inch rounds, and spread some chocolate cream into the bottom of the pie shell. Then layer 1/2 of the bananas over that. Spread chocolate cream to cover them. Then add bananas on top of that. Use the remaining chocolate cream to cover these bananas. Keep refrigerated until serving, and cool at least 1 hour.
- When serving, beat the remaining 2 cups heavy cream until it begins to form soft peaks, and then beat in 1/2 cup sugar until it holds together with stiff peaks. Spread this decoratively over the chocolate mixture. If desired, add on chocolate shavings as a garnish.