My name is Jenny Marie. I am currently in college studying video and multimedia design. I love crafting, cooking and creating new projects!
Birthdays can be stressful, so I would recommend making these cupcakes in advance. I would wait to add the smile the morning of the party so that the black frosting does not bleed.
What You Will Need
- Jumbo Candy Eyes
- Wilton Gel Food Dye
- Wilton Cake Decorating Tips 8, 12 and 233
- Wilton Cake Decorating Bag (I like disposable bags for easy clean up)
I have used other brands than Wilton, but Wilton is the best quality cake decorating supplies.
- After you baked and cooled your cupcakes, you will want to put your tip 233 (grass tip) in and fill it with red frosting.
- Now, with the video below as an example, bend your wrists at a 90 degree angle and apply pressure to your cake decorating bag while you pull up to make Elmo's fur. Make sure you leave room for the mouth like I did in the photo below. Also, be sure that you pay attention to your pressure, and lighten it when you are coming up.
- Use tip 12 to fill the cake decorating bag with orange frosting, and make a nose.
- Add your jumbo eyes. On the day of the party, fill in the mouth area with black frosting using a tip 8.
Lena Durante from San Francisco Bay Area on May 04, 2017:
I know just what you mean. I've had friends come over and offer to help me cook, then stare at me blankly when I ask them to do something that seems second-nature to me.
Jenny Marie (author) from il on May 04, 2017:
Yes they are I always get asked to make them for bake sales. That is a great suggestion sometimes after you make stuff for so long you forget to add steps like that!
Lena Durante from San Francisco Bay Area on May 03, 2017:
These are ADORABLE! You must be really popular with the kids.
The videos will be really helpful for novices. I would also add that it's good to do a little practicing before you start working on the cupcakes. Getting the right pressure and lifting motion can take a couple of tries.