Jan has been cooking and writing about food for over 20 years. She has cooked on multiple television stations, including the Food Network.
The Best Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream You'll Ever Have
I have a serious love of ice cream, and I have spent years collecting and perfecting recipes for this frozen treat. My favorites all use a cooked custard; the flavors are amazing and the final result is so creamy it's unbelievable.
This is the chocolate ice cream I pull out for special occasions—in this case, it was Levi's birthday. The kid takes after my own heart; the cake he could take or leave, but the ice cream must be perfect. So this is Levi's perfectly chocolate ice cream, and you'll love it, too. Despite the cooked custard, it's really easy to put together. A few simple steps and only a handful of ingredients and you have a chocolate ice cream to die for. Try it for yourself and see! It really is the best you'll ever have!
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine half and half and cocoa powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk well, and bring up to a bare simmer.
- Add milk and sugar to the saucepan and stir well.
- Place egg yolks in a separate bowl. Whisk them well. Stir in salt and vanilla.
- Once the cream mixture comes up to a simmer, temper the egg yolks. Working with just a ladleful at a time, add hot cream/cocoa mixture to egg yolks, whisking quickly the entire time. Continue adding ladles of the cream/cocoa mixture to the yolks until you've added about half of the cream. At that point, pour the egg yolk mixture back into the pan with the cream and cocoa mixture, whisking well.
- Bring the cream/yolk mixture back up to a bare simmer, and simmer until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Chill for several hours.
- Churn ice cream in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions, usually about half an hour. Serve immediately for soft serve, or transfer finished ice cream to the freezer to harden for several hours.
Perfect Chocolate Flavor
Egg Yolks for Richness
Read More From Delishably
Half and Half Forms the Base
Bring to a Simmer
Egg Yolks for Richness
A Quick Chill
Ice Cream Maker
Soft Serve Immediatley
It's Just Pretty...
© 2019 Jan Charles