I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Sweet and Healthy Pumpkin Pudding
In my kitchen, I use pumpkin to make many dishes. One of my favorites is pumpkin pudding. This dessert is great because it's low in fat, low in calories, and light on the stomach. It's very easy to make, too.
Pumpkin has a natural sweetness, though I did use some jaggery powder to make the pudding sweeter. Jaggery is healthier than refined sugar
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups pumpkin, grated
- 2 tbsp rice semolina, optional (I used)
- 3/4 cup wheat semolina or cream of wheat
- 1/2 cup coconut, finely grated
- 1/4 cup jaggery powder
- 3 cardamom pods, powdered
- 1/8 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Cut pumpkin into big pieces, remove the thick skin, and then grate the flesh.
- Soak rice semolina in water for 10 minutes; then strain.
- Finely grate the coconut. If it is coarse, slightly dry-grind to make the granules smaller.
- Generously grease a cooker container with butter or ghee.
- Transfer the grated pumpkin to a mixing bowl. Add grated coconut, powdered jaggery, rice semolina, wheat semolina, salt, and powdered cardamom. The pumpkin should contain some water; if it is insufficient, add some water. The mix should be thick like idli batter.
- Pour the mix into the greased container. Pour the remaining ghee on top of the mix. Steam-cook for 10-12 minutes on medium-high fire. Don't use cooker weight. You can even cook it in a steamer.
- Once it is done, take out the container. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut the pudding into slices. Enjoy hot or cold with few drops of liquid ghee on top.
Step-by-Step Photo Guide
Health Benefits of Pumpkin
Many people use pumpkin around Halloween and Thanksgiving, but you don't need to limit yourself to these two holidays. Pumpkin is also great in salads, curries, raita, desserts, and soups.
Pumpkin is nutrient-dense, contains many vitamins and minerals, and is also low in calories. Enjoy eating this healthy vegetable!