How to Make Carrot Barfi or Carrot Cakes
Carrot Barfi or Carrot Cakes
Easy Dessert, a Beginner's Recipe
Carrots are a popular vegetable that people use extensively to make desserts, curries, salads, juices, snacks, etc. It is a crunchy, mildly sweet, and colorful vegetable.
Carrots are high in antioxidants, beta-carotene, thiamine, niacin, vitamin A, vitamin B 6, vitamin K, fiber, potassium, etc. They are very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. As it is soft and easily digestible, people use it to make food for kids and old folks.
This carrot barfi recipe is an easy dish that anybody can make without messing it up. I used carrots, all-purpose flour, fresh milk cream, sugar, ghee, pistachios, and cardamom in this. These carrot cakes came out very delicious. They had a rich aroma.
Now, let me share the recipe with you.
- 1 packed bowl carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup sugar, or jaggery powder. I used sugar.
- 1 small cup milk cream, fresh or frozen
- 1 small cup all purpose flour/maida
- 1/2 cup ghee/clarified butter
- 2 tbsp pistachios and almonds, together, thinly sliced, for garnishing
- 2 pinches dark yellow food color, optional
- 4 cardamom, finely crushed or powdered
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Carrot Barfi or Carrot Cake
- Grease a deep-bottomed square plate or any other plate with some ghee. Keep aside. This is for pouring the hot carrot barfi mix.
- Saute grated carrot with some ghee in a deep-bottomed pan. Non-stick pan is the preferred for making this dish. If you don't have, use any other pan.
- Saute grated carrot for about 5 minutes or till it becomes almost dry. Collect it in a plate. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add plain flour. Saute with some ghee for 5 minutes, or till you get a nice aroma.
- Now, add sauteed carrots, crushed cardamom, and remaining ghee. Thoroughly blend them.
- Add sugar and milk cream. Stir-cook till the mix becomes thick, a bit dry, and comes out like a single lump.
- In the final stages, you can see ghee oozing out on the edges. Turn off the heat. This step may take about 15 minutes.
- Transfer it to the greased plate. Spread it with the help of a spatula to make half inch thick slab.
- Spread chopped pistachios and almonds on it. Press them a little, so that they stick to the barfi.
- Set aside for cooling. When it turns warm, make square shapes by drawing lines with the help of a knife.
- Insert the knife along these lines, so that you can get square-shaped barfis.
- Take the pieces out once it completely cools down.
- Enjoy eating this yummy sweet treat when ever you desire. Store them in refrigerator after 2 days.
Nutritional Information of Carrot Barfi
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 16 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 42 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|