I happened to come across Disneyland's Bumblebee Cupcake by accident, but it is perfection!
I have wanted to write an article about the cupcakes at Disneyland for a while now, but it is always so hard to decide what to do. That and there actually aren't too many cupcakes that are amazing inside the park. I really like the Pumpkin Holiday one and the Bumblebee cupcake I am sharing with you now. A lot of people don't know about this cupcake because it is only sold at one restaurant—and that restaurant is tucked in a corner inside of Critter Country. I actually happened to come across it by accident.
A few years ago while at Disneyland with my boyfriend and his friends, we decided to get lunch at the Hungry Bear restaurant. While we were waiting for our food, I noticed a family next to us who had several cupcakes. I decided to go up to them and ask where they got them. They were so nice, and they explained that they'd bought them here at the restaurant—but that they'd bought the last of them.
As I thanked them and started to walk away, they offered me one of their cupcakes. It was the sweetest thing and I shared it with everyone. We all loved it! It was so delicious and fluffy. It was by far one of the best cupcakes I have ever had. I was so excited that I found a recipe to re-create them at home and share with all of you. This may not be the official recipe, but it is perfection!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 dozen cupcakes
- 1 box lemon cake mix
Lemon Curd Ingredients
- 1 tsp. powdered gelatin
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
Honey Lemon Frosting Ingredients
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- edible gold glitter
- candy bumblebees
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
2. Fill cupcake holders 3/4 full with batter.
3. Cool cupcakes completely before decorating.
Lemon Curd Instructions
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a bowl, set aside.
2. Combine lemon juice and 1/2 cup of sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer.
3. Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, and egg yolks in a medium bowl.
4. Pour 1/4 simmering sugar-lemon mixture into egg mixture, whisking so that the eggs do not cook.
5. Pour the contents of the bowl with the remaining mixture in the pan. Continue cooking, stirring constantly for 2 minutes until mixture thickens.
6. Remove from heat and add gelatin and butter, stirring well.
7. Strain through a fine mesh sleeve into a bowl.
8. Place 3/4 cup lemon curd in a separate bowl to make frosting; reserve the rest to make cupcake filling.
Honey Lemon Frosting
- Stir honey into a bowl with the remaining lemon curd reserved for frosting.
2. Beat heavy cream on high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
3. Gently fold in lemon curd and honey mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
1. Scoop out a small portion from the center of each cupcake.
2. Place the leftover lemon curd into a plastic ziplock bag. Cut a hole in the end and pile curd into the center of each cupcake.
3. Place the honey lemon frosting into a different ziplock bag and cut a small hole in the end. Frost each cupcake.
4. Garnish with candy bees and edible glitter.
Just a Few Tips!
- When you are straining the lemon curd, you might want to rinse out the strainer every once and a while because the gelatin will get stuck and prolong the process.
- Also when straining, it is important to do it while it is warm because it will thicken when it cools and it will be harder to strain.
- I also used a spoon to press the curd through the strainer because it is so thick.
- The order in which I made everything was the curd first, the frosting next, and the cupcakes last.
Where Is the Garnish?
So if you noticed I did not put the garnish on my cupcakes. While the garnish is super cute and makes it look like the Disneyland cupcake I don't think that it is necessary. I actually had every intention to do the garnish but I could not get gold edible glitter because every store I went to was out. I did try my hardest to find it. I think the more important thing is how they taste which is amazing! They are very lemony but I think that they are perfect for spring and summer. If you want to know what they look like at Disneyland I posted a picture below.
© 2016 Lyndsay Gamber