No-Bake Double Berry Cake Squares
Thank heavens for no baking!
Prep time: 15 mins
Chill in frig for: overnight
Yields: 8-12 servings
Dessert Recipe with Berries
I love no-bake recipes. Don't let this one's beauty fool you-- this recipe or process isn't intimidating and it's practically fool-proof. You can have your kids or partner prepare it. Prepare the day before you plan to serve it. Spending the night in the frig makes it truly wonderful, so don't skip this step or try to speed it up. It's worth the wait and worth its weight in dessert gold!
Easy Fruit Desserts
Baking with Jell-o Pudding
- 1 pound cake, sliced
- 3 tablespoons grenadine
- approximately 20 ounces berries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large instant vanilla pudding, (six 1/2 cup servings)
- 3 cups cold milk, (for pudding)
- 8 oz cool whip, divided
Tip for slicing
I used a 10 oz angel food cake from my local grocery store. This dessert has multiple layers and the cake slices are the bottom-most layer. This means, if you don't slice them perfectly even, no one will really know in the sense that your cake as a whole probably won't look uneven or lopsided. However, when it comes to serving, I don't want to serve one guest a sliver of cake while another guest gets a piece that's too thick. So to make sure I cut my cake close-to-perfect, I did the following.
How to cut angel food loaf or pound cake into even slices
- Prepare instant vanilla pudding.
- Slice cake and arrange in glass dish. Drizzle with grenadine.
- Top evenly with berries and sprinkle with sugar.
- Fold 1 cup of cool whip into pudding and spread over fruit.
- Spread remaining cool whip over entire dessert and refrigerate overnight.
How to make berry squaresClick thumbnail to view full-size
Why should you eat blue- and raspberries?
- Blueberries get their intense blue color from anthocyanins, substances that may reduce risk of heart disease in humans.
- Raspberries have an anti-inflammatory property that may help to reduce inflammation of the joints.
- You don't have to use a glass dish, but it's almost a sin not to. This desert is beautiful from every angle. I used my 9"x11" Pyrex cake dish.
- You can prepare this dessert in individual dishes, like glass custard cups or ramekins. Cut cake into cubes or into a circle to line the bottom of the cup.
- Using fruit right from the freezer to this dish will cause it to leak a bit of it's natural juice and/or ice as it sets in the frig. I prefer it over fresh fruit for this specific recipe because the cake soaks it all up and it's yummier, in my opinion. You could also do half fresh and half frozen. Frozen is always an option if perhaps the fresh versions of these berries are too expensive or not in season.
Berries, Pudding and Cake Dessert
This is the easiest dessert I have ever made. Hands down. It's delicious and no one has to know that you didn't slave for hours and hours. When you cut into it to slice, the layers are absolutely gorgeous. I love using raspberries and blueberries together in recipes because they look and taste perfect together. Blueberries are in season from mid April to late September, making this a wonderful summertime dessert. If out of season, hit the frozen fruit aisle for your berries. Enjoy!
More Fruit-tastic Recipes from the Kitchen of Heather Says
- Peach Moo Milkshake
A yummy and simple treat in ten minutes or less from a beautiful vintage recipe card from my mother.
- Cherry Craisin Oat Bars
A healthy snack I whipped up that tastes good and is good for you. These bars are faster to make and yummier than cookies or cupcakes.
- French Lace Cookie Cups with Fresh Fruit
I love recipes that use simple ingredients, basic cooking steps, and come out gorgeous. This is one of those recipes. A gorgeous and deliciously-edible way to serve fruit portions for dessert or brunch. Easy, delicious, and beautiful.
More by this Author
My mother's yellow coffee cake recipe from the 60s paired with her mother's chocolate icing recipe from the 40s. Close to my heart and my sweet tooth!
Strawberry Jell-o + Cake = Jell-o Cake. It's as easy as it sounds. This is a great way to turn a store bought boxed cake mix into something spectacular and the possibilities are almost endless.
Traditional Italian cookies reinvented for fall. These Halloween Pizzelles are made with pumpkin and perfect in every way. A must-have pumpkin recipe for festive parties and holiday dinners.