Victoria is a stay-at-home mom, author, educator, and blogger at Healthy at Home. She currently lives in Colorado with her family.
Cookie brownies are one of those unique desserts that not many people are familiar with. Brownies are, I think, one of the most popular dessert choices for a quick and easy, decadent treat at home. And everyone is familiar with chocolate chip cookies.
I don't know anyone who cooks at home who doesn't have a recipe for each of these popular desserts. And if you don't have a recipe, you likely have a favorite go-to brand of the boxed version.
But have you ever considered layering the two into a casserole dish before baking? If not, you're in for an amazing treat! Soft and gooey fudge brownies on top—with the wonderful chocolate chip goodness on the bottom. Yum!
We don't make this dish often, but it lasts for a while when we do because I make a huge casserole dish of it. We're that family that keeps a fork or a knife in the dish and just takes a hunk off the side when we have a sweet craving.
And just like all of my other dessert dishes, this one is made with 100% all-natural, wholesome ingredients. I don't use any processed ingredients or artificial additives in my recipes. I use coconut sugar, coconut oil, homemade vanilla extract, organic baking soda and cocoa powder, raw, local honey and whole wheat flour (sometimes homemade almond, coconut, or oat flour).
So I can rest assured that no matter what my family is eating, it's good for their bodies and they are getting wonderful vitamins and nutrients. There are no off-limit dessert foods in this house. With this recipe, you too can enjoy a guilt-free delicious treat. Let me show you how I made it!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Huge 9x13 casserole dish with endless servings!
For the chocolate chip cookie layer:
- 1 cup grass-fed butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw honey, melted
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
For the brownie layer:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish with some coconut oil. You could also line it with parchment paper if you choose.
- I always start with my chocolate chip cookie layer first. Melt your butter and combine it with your sugar and eggs.
- then dissolve your baking soda in the hot water and add it into your cookie mixture with the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Melt your honey and add it into your cookie mixture with the flour. This may take some elbow grease to get completely mixed, but you can do it.
- Finally, fold in your chocolate chips.
- Press this mixture into the bottom of your prepared casserole dish, and get started on your brownies.
- Once again, begin by melting your butter and combining it with your eggs and sugar.
- Now add in your baking powder, vanilla extract, flour and cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture on top of your chocolate chip cookie layer in the casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Slide the whole dish into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. The time may be a bit different depending on your climate, altitude and oven, but it should be pretty close. Cook until a knife can be poked into the middle and still come out clean.
Step-by-Step Photo Guide
For Valentine's Day this year, we have been pulling out all of our favorite dessert recipes, especially those with chocolate, to have fun making together and to share with you. If you haven't already, you'll want to check out my double fudge brownies. Yum!
We've been making all kinds of wonderful goodies over here and my kids are loving it. They are in chocolate heaven.
I have to warn you though, before making these. They are highly addictive, and you may find yourself craving them in the middle of the night when you should be sleeping. My husband and I have been known to meet in front of the refrigerator to get another bite of this delicious treat. Just saying. You can't say you weren't warned. Enjoy!
© 2019 Victoria Van Ness