Easy Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies With Butterscotch Chips
Cookies Are a Tasty Treat
Cookies are a favorite treat for my husband and me while we watch movies at home. We like having them with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. Last time, I also made peanut butter cookies, but they were soft and chewy, as per my husband's request. This time, however, I decided to make them crispy because I love hearing the crispy sounds once I bite into them.
These cookies are super easy to make as the ingredients are very similar to the standard peanut butter cookie recipe. But this recipe has a twist. My husband asked me to use butterscotch chips in the batter. Honestly, I had never used butterscotch chips before, but hey, I was up for the challenge.
Creamy vs. Chunky
In terms of the peanut butter, I prefer to use the creamy kind in order to get a smoother texture in my cookies. Honestly, if you use the chunky kind, I'm sure that that would work well, too. I decided to the cut amount of peanut butter used in the batter by half because peanut butter contains some oil.
If you want a chewier cookie, all you have to do is use white sugar instead of dark brown sugar. Brown sugar contains molasses, which adds moisture. Also, because it's slightly acidic, it causes the proteins in the cookie dough to firm up faster, creating a chewier texture.
Easy Recipe: A Perfect Snack for Your Family
Peanut butter cookies with butterscotch chips are super easy to make. One thing I like about making these cookies is that you don't need a cookie-cutter; all you need to shape the cookies are your hands or a spoon. What matters is the taste, not the shape!
The butterscotch chips bring a sweet and vanilla flavor to the cookie. By the way, make sure to keep the cookies inside an airtight container to preserve the crispiness. If you prefer your cookies to be chewy or soft, all you have to do is bake them in under 15 minutes. I hope you will try this recipe. I hope you and your family will enjoy them as much as we do!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease the baking sheet).
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, butter, dark brown sugar, vanilla, and egg.
- Use a hand mixer to beat the ingredients until they are well combined.
- Add the peanut butter into the mixture and beat until it is well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Continue mixing at a lower speed, but do not over-mix.
- Stir in about 2/3 cup of the butterscotch chips (reserving the rest for topping the cookies).
- Transfer the mixture onto a baking mat and use your hands to shape it into a dough.
- Cover the dough with cling wrap and chill it in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Shape the dough into balls (I use my hands), and place each ball a couple of inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Press a few of remaining butterscotch chips on top of each dough ball.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the edges are light golden brown but the center is still slightly underdone.
- Place the cookies on wire racks to cool. Repeat with remaining dough until all cookies are baked.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
© 2019 Liza