Baking is one of my favorite pastimes. I enjoy baking cookies, cakes, breads, pies, muffins, cupcakes, and much more.
The Most Delicious Cookies in the World?
I believe that shortbread cookies are one of the most delicious cookies in the world. To think that all you need is butter, flour, vanilla, sugar, and a small amount of milk to make such a delectable treat is just amazing, isn’t it? The idea behind these cookies is from my husband. He requested these cookies to snack on while watching TV or playing video games!
Shortbread cookies are super easy to make—and therefore, I have no complaints. As a special treat, I decided to bake an hour before my husband got home from work so that he could enjoy these cookies while they were still warm. I love fresh, homemade baked goods, don't you? One thing is for sure, the smell of baking cookies is marvelous; it makes my house smell wonderful. Once you have your first one, I bet you'll want to eat a second right away!
Tips for Making Shortbread Cookies
Shortbread cookies require only a small number of ingredients, but that doesn't mean you can take shortcuts. Firstly, pay attention to the butter you use. It defines the taste of the cookies. For this recipe, I decided to use salted creamy butter because it translates into a creamy taste in the baked cookies. You are welcome to use unsalted butter, if you prefer, and then you can simply add a teaspoon of salt to the dough. Secondly, in terms of mixing the dough, you can either do it by hand or use a mixer. I decided to use a hand mixer to speed up the process. My guess is that the results would be the same, regardless of which method you use.
How to Shape the Cookies
To shape the cookies, you can use a cookie cutter, a piping bag, or a knife. I decided to use a cookie cutter to create the snowflake shape and a knife for the square shape. Honestly, there are no rules here—choose any shape you like.
The shortbread cookies take about 15 minutes to bake. After the cookies come out of the oven, you will notice that they are softer in the middle, but set them out on a wire rack to cool completely. They will harden within a few minutes. Later, if you like, you can decorate the cookies by dipping them into the chocolate mixture.
These shortbread cookies are deliciously crisp and buttery in every single bite. I hope you will try this recipe, and I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 to 60 minutes (including baking time)
Serves: 20 to 25 cookies (depends on the size you make)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup icing (confectioners) sugar
- 1 cup salted creamy butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Chocolate ganache for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease the baking sheet).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, icing sugar, and vanilla extract. Use a hand mixer to beat the ingredients until they are well combined.
- Sieve the flour into the wet mixture. Continue mixing at a lower speed, but do not over-mix.
- Add a tablespoon of milk. Mix for another 30-60 seconds until dough comes together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out the dough to your preferred thickness. Use a cookie cutter or knife to shape the cookies.
- Place the cookies onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Space out 12 cookies per sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer the cookies onto a wire rack to let cool completely.
- Dip the cooled shortbread cookies into the chocolate ganache for decoration (optional).
- Enjoy the shortbread cookies with a cup of coffee or tea.
© 2019 Liza
Liza (author) from USA on February 17, 2019:
Thank you for your lovely comment Rachel. Look like we have a similarity :) They are super easy to make so, I'm happy to bake more. Have a lovely weekend.
Rachel Alba on February 17, 2019:
Hi Liza, Your cookies look great and so do all of your pictures. My husband loves shortbread cookies. They looks so easy to make. I will be pinning this recipe.
Blessings to you.
Liza (author) from USA on February 16, 2019:
Thank you, Liz.
I'm sure your mother makes some delicious shortbread cookies! Happy weekend :)
Liz Westwood from UK on February 15, 2019:
This looks similar to a recipe my mother used to use. Great step by step illustrated guide.
Liza (author) from USA on February 13, 2019:
My husband ate all and now he is asking for more. Lol. Did you post the recipe? I have to look at it :) Maybe I should try your recipe this time. Thanks for dropping by!
Susan Zutautas from Ontario, Canada on February 13, 2019:
I love shortbread cookies and make them every Christmas. I've used unsalted butter and find that using salted butter makes a big difference. I have 3 different recipes for them and love all of them.