Liza is a homemaker. She has an obsession with coffee and loves collecting postcards from friends all over the world.
I recently made a frozen chocolate cake with creamy vanilla filling, and I thought it turned out to be pretty amazing.
If you're a baker, this recipe should be very easy for you. If you're not a baker, you can make an easy version of this recipe by using a cake mix from the store. Fortunately, I really love baking and making my kitchen messy! Therefore, I don't mind baking the cake for this recipe.
For the filling, I decided to make a creamy vanilla filling because I love the combination of intense chocolate and rich vanilla. You can also incorporate any variety of additions to the filling, such as freshly sliced strawberries or raspberries.
Ingredients: Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Hershey cocoa powder (or any kind of your favorite cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk or sour cream
Ingredients: Vanilla Filling
- 1 stick (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces cool whip or whip cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Fruit, freshly sliced (optional)
- Chocolate, caramel, or strawberry syrup
- Chocolate fudge
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease two 8-inch round baking pans.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract at a lower speed for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Then, beat on a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely before taking it out from the pan.
- Make the filling: In a stand mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat the ingredients until it's smooth. Take the bowl out from the mixer and start folding in the cool whip or the whipping cream. Add chocolate chips or any desired fresh fruits.
- Assemble the cake: Level off the top of each cake layer with a serrated knife.
- Place the first cake on the bottom nonstick springform pan. Start spreading the filling on top.
- Place the second layer on and continue spreading the filling.
- Decorate the cake with the chocolate fudge or any syrups of your choice.
- Let cake sits in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Photo Tutorial: Baking, Cooling, Assembling & Decorating
© 2018 Liza
Liza (author) from USA on September 24, 2018:
Yeah, who can say no to chocolate cake right? LOL. The fresh fruit such as strawberries brings the bright taste to the cake.
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on September 23, 2018:
I always enjoy chocolate cake. I love the thought of eating a slice with the creamy filling that you've described. Sliced strawberries would be a great addition to the filling.