Easy Glass Trifle Bowl Recipes
What Is a Trifle?
The word Trifle has many meanings including something whimsical, of little value or significance. But as you will learn, that description is far from reality.
You see, a trifle is also a dessert that the English have enjoyed for more than three centuries and typically consists of cake soaked in alcohol such as brandy, rum or sherry and covered with layers of jam, custard, and whipped cream. This dessert is layered and displayed in a see-through glass dish. Trifles were first created as a way to not waste leftover stale cake.
Specially designed glass or crystal trifle bowls are available today. These clear bowls typically have straight sides and a stem resembling an oversized brandy snifter glass.
The ideas are endless for what you can make, display and serve from your trifle bowl.
- 1 10.5-ounce loaf angel food cake
- 1 3.75-ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 8-ounce CoolWhip
- 16 ounces (1 pound) strawberries
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple
- Cut most of the strawberries into small pieces. Keep one strawberry whole and thinly slice just a few to decorate the top of the dessert. (see photo)
- Slice the angel food cake loaf into bite-size pieces. (see photo)
Do not follow instructions on the pudding box.
- Make vanilla pudding using only 1 1/2 cups cold milk.
- Using a hand mixer or whisk, blend CoolWhip into the pudding.
Begin layering your dessert.
- Layer 1 (bottom) ~ Use 1/2 of the angel food cake pieces.
- Layer 2 ~ Spread 1/2 can crushed pineapple. Note: It is okay to use the juice as it will moisten the cake.
- Layer 3 ~ Use 1/2 of the cut-up strawberries.
- Layer 4~ Spread 1/2 of the pudding/CoolWhip mixture.
- Layers 5–8 ~ Repeat layers 1–4.
- Layer 9 (top) ~ Decorate with a whole strawberry in the middle and sliced strawberries around the top.
- Substitute jelly-roll cakes or pound cake instead of angel food cake.
- Substitute different types of fruit.
- Substitute a different flavor pudding.
- Use sugar-free alternatives.
Layered Jello DessertClick thumbnail to view full-size
Layered Jello Dessert
- 5 or more 3-ounce packages of Jello (any combination of flavors/colors)
- Evaporated Milk (refrigerated)
- Cool Whip (thawed)
- Fruit for Topping (mandarin oranges or strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, etc.)
Do not follow instructions on the Jello box. You will be using less liquid to ensure the Jello remains firm.
- Layer 1 (bottom) ~ Dissolve 1 package of Jello in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir in 1 cup cold water. Pour into trifle bowl and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Layer 2 ~ Dissolve 1 package of Jello in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir in 1/2 cup cold water and 1/2 cup cold evaporated milk. Pour into trifle bowl and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Layers 3–5 ~ Continue with alternating layers clear and then opaque (with evaporated milk).
Note: If your trifle bowl is large enough, you could make more layers of Jello. Be sure that each layer has set before you add the next.
- Layer 6 ~ Spread thawed CoolWhip OR use a pastry bag for a more decorative outcome. (I used a ziplock bag and cut the corner, turning it into a “pastry bag.”)
- Top Layer ~ Decorate the top with fresh or canned fruit.
- Add fruit or mini marshmallows in between layers.
- Use sugar-free alternatives.
Individual Trifle Desserts
Any glass or crystal dish will work to make beautiful individual trifle desserts.
Below are just a couple photos to give you an idea so you will be able to make your own creations.
Beautiful Trifle Desserts for One
Additional Recipe Ideas for a Trifle Bowl
- Layered fruit salad
- Layered Waldorf salad
- Layered green salad
- Layered pasta salad
- Layered Mexican salad
You Can Use a Trifle Bowl to Display Any Type of Food
Other Trifle Bowl Uses
- Use it as a punch bowl.
- Use it as a bowl for whole fruit.
- Make a centerpiece such as glass stones around a pillar candle or a flower arrangement.
What About You
Do you own a trifle bowl?
Thank You for Stopping by!
Using a trifle bowl truly adds a beautiful centerpiece to any table. Even if you do not have a trifle bowl, any large glass bowl will do such as a punch bowl. You will, no doubt, receive many ooohs and ahhhs when others see your pretty display. Have fun and enjoy the compliments!
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Sharon Smith